Chapter 23

The day we came to from school, Ashton didn't hesitate to push me up against a wall.

"No, that was rude. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry," he rambled. I simply stood with my back against the wall, very confused.

"It's okay, I guess," I said.

Ashton groaned, and he pulled at his hair. "You have a lot of explaining to do, Lucas Hemmings!"

"I do?"

"Of course you do!" Ashton exclaimed. "How—how dare you leave me hanging like that?"

"Well," I started with a somewhat sarcastic tone, "you did have to patch things up with your boyfriend. Speaking of which, how'd that g—"

"No!" Ashton said, cutting me off. "You are not getting off topic. I believe you said you had a crush on Rylee Jacob?"

"I do. So?"

Ashton's mouth went agape. "So?!" he exclaimed. "So, why didn't you tell me? Oh, Luke, I'm so happy for you!"

"Why are you happy for me?" I asked seriously.

"Can't you see it?" Ashton exclaimed. He laughed to himself. "I know we're teenagers. We're young, not to mention hormonal. But there are studies that you meet your soul mate in between seventh and twelfth grade ninety percent of the time. Don't you see, Luke? This could be the woman you're going to marry and have kids with!" Ashton let out a dreamy sigh. "Love. It's a wonderful feeling."

"About that," I drawled out slowly.

Ashton stopped suddenly. "What is it?"

"I like Rylee a lot. I really do. It's just that I'm not sure if 'love' is the right term to describe my feelings."

Ashton frowned. "Do you want to fall in love, Luke?" he asked softly.

I paused. Ashton looked at me expectantly as I pondered on the question. I was infatuated with Rylee Jacob. I was undeniably attracted to her. But the more I thought about it, the more the infatuation seemed to fade. I am a firm believer of trusting my gut, and I finally have my answer.

As much as I liked her, I was sure that Rylee Jacob wasn't going to be the person I'm going to fall in love with.

I let out a sigh. "I'm not sure if Rylee is the right person to fall in love with," I murmured.

"Hey, it's okay, Luke," Ashton said with a small smile. "Sometimes you get that feeling of doubt. I'm not the one to tell you your future, Luke. Perhaps Rylee is the person you're destined to marry. Perhaps she isn't, and there's someone else. I can't tell you what's going to happen. I like to live in the moment, Luke, and maybe you're not sure if Rylee is the one for you. But maybe she is, and as doubtful as you are, there is still a possibility. You have to go after her."

I nodded. "I'm just confused," I told him. "I've never felt like this about someone before."

Ashton gave me a smile. "You'll figure it out, Luke. As for right now, I suppose I try figuring out if she likes you back!"

It was my turn to smile. "I'd really appreciate that."

✘✘✘

HOW DO YOU ASK OUT GIRLS YOU REALLY LIKE

idk fuck her in the bathroom stall that's what most high school kids are doing these days

BUT THAT'S NOT ASKING HER OUT

YOU'RE STRESSING OUT ABOUT ASKING RYLEE OUT AND THEREFORE STRESSING ME OUT CALM THE FUCK DOWN

I WILL NOT CALM THE FUCK DOWN