Chapter 15

"Did you experiment different types of hair bleaches for your science fair project?"

"No!" Michael gave me a glare. "I did that last year."

I burst out in laughter, and the only thing that Michael did was shove my shoulder slightly. He was too much of a sweetheart to be violent. He was like a little kitten, and his newly-colored lavender hair could prove it. Michael pouted, but he soon started to laugh along with me.

"We should probably give these to Howell," Michael shrugged. I nodded, and the two of us told Mrs. Smith we were heading to the class next door.

"Did you actually try working on your science fair project?" I asked Michael.

Michael gave me a shrug. "I tried harder than I did last year. Last year, I was pretty much winging the project. I gave Mrs. Smith a whole bunch of bullshit for my data. But this year, I actually put a bit of effort in this project. It is senior year, after all."

"You don't need to remind me," I muttered under my breath.

"What?" Michael asked.

I cocked an eyebrow at him. "I didn't say anything," I lied.

"Oh."

Michael and I dropped our posters at the very back of the class, and we saw Ashton messing around with his poster. Michael saw the nervous look in Ashton's eye, and—being the very good person I was—shoved the lavender-haired boy towards his boyfriend.

"Ash, what's wrong?" Michael asked.

Ashton crinkled his nose in slight disgust, and he shook his head. "It's just that..." He sighed. "I don't know. I'd like to think that I had put some hard work into this science fair project, and then I look at Rylee's project. Rylee always goes to the County Fair, Mikey! I just don't think my project's good enough..."

Michael shook his head, and he wrapped his arms around the older boy's waist. He rested his head in the crook of Ashton's neck, and Ashton laid his head on Michael's. "You shouldn't care if you don't go to the County Fair. Ash, they only choose thirteen students per school. I know it upsets you that Rylee, Jordan, and Beau always get selected to go to the County Fair, but science is just their specialty. Your specialty just so happens to be math and computers."

Ashton let out a distressed sigh. "I just wanted to win for once, Mikey..."

"You won my heart, if that makes you feel any better," Michael said, intertwining their fingers.

Ashton smiled his famous dimpled smile, and he pecked Michael on the lips. "It's the best prize I could ever win."

Ashton and Michael continued to share soft kisses, not caring that every other of our classmates were in the class turning in their projects. I simply stood there, hands at my side and my lips pursed together. I started to shift my weight from my toes to my heels. I bobbed my head side-to-side to the music coming from my headphones. About five minutes had passed, and I was still standing there, watching Michael and Ashton kiss. I could totally blackmail them for this, I thought. I took my phone out, pretending to change the song. I slightly tilted my phone upwards, and I snapped multiple pictures of the lip-locked couple.

"Okay," I declared, "you can either stop being so fucking cute, or I can post the pictures online."

Michael let out a shriek, and I forced myself not to laugh at the sound. "You took pictures?!" he exclaimed.

I shrugged. "Only about twenty—"

"You are so dead, Hemmings!" Michael promised.

"Yeah, you're so intimidating, Clifford," I said sarcastically. "I think it's the lavender hair. You want a flower crown with that?"