Chapter 5

"I'm honestly surprised that you don't throw those 'let's get so drunk that we could possibly end up dying' parties," I told Michael as I made it to his house. There were colored lights coming from the inside, some music coming from the speakers, and gosh, the pizza smelled delicious.

"What?" Michael asked in an astonished tone. "I would never! The majority of us are underage, anyway. Some of us could drink, but then they'd need to get their own alcohol, and I'd have to make sure no one else but them drinks it, and if that doesn't happen, we could have a mishap with the cops, and then it'd go on our school records for when we want to go to college—yep, I can't have parties with alcohol. Maybe in college, but while we're still in high school, no way."

I gave Michael a shy smile, and I thought of Liz who thought that Michael was a rebellious teenager. Even though I didn't exactly consider him a "friend"—close acquaintance, since I'm being nice—Michael was one of the most responsible, nicest people I have ever met. No wonder everyone else in our grade is practically obsessed with him.

"Can I just ask a question?" I followed Michael inside the house, and boy, his house was huge. The neighborhood around the school was full of rich people, and Michael lived just across the street from school. He certainly didn't act stuck-up or snobby, which made me happy.

"Didn't you just?" Michael replied with a laugh.

"Asshole," I said with a playful glare. "Anyway, could you not play Fancy? I'm done with that song's shit."

Michael turned to me with a smile on his face. "I'M SO FANCY! YOU ALREADY KNOW!" he started screaming, and I let out a groan. He continued singing the song at the top of his lungs, and I sheepishly followed behind him as he led me deeper and deeper into his house.

"Mikey! Stop scaring each and every one of your guests!" some boy called out. Michael immediately stopped singing, and the boy came over laughing.

"Thank you so much," I sighed with relief. "You have no idea how much I—"

Before I knew it, the both of them started screaming Fancy as loud as they could, and all I could do whine.

"I take it you're Michael's boyfriend?" I asked shyly.

The boy smiled, and he turned to peck Michael on the lips. "The one and only," he said with a wink. "I'm Ashton," he said, and he gave me a hug (which I awkwardly returned). Michael smiled at the two of us, and he wrapped his arm around Ashton's waist and threw his other around my shoulder.

"I have the entire night planned for the three of us," Michael said.

"Oh, no." I threw my head down in shame, because I've already heard it. Michael only laughed at me.

"First, Ash and Luke are going to bond over pizza while I keep the guests entertained. Secondly, Ash and Luke are going to find something so incredible that they have in common, and they're going to become best friends—at this point, I am still the most awesome host of an awesome party. Thirdly, I am going to make time to spend with my loving boyfriend and my closest friend (other than my loving boyfriend, of course). Fourthly, I will catch you completely ignoring me because you two have an unbreakable bond. Fifthly, I am going to be happy because I got you two to be really good friends. Sixthly, I am going to become jealous because my loving boyfriend and my best friend are better friends with each other than with me in the trio. Seventhly, I'm going to confront Ashton for having a thing for Luke. Eighthly, Ashton is going to deny, and Luke is going to deny. Ninthly, Ashton is going to tell me loves me. And, finally, Ashton and I are going to have sex in the closet. Does everyone understand? Good. Okay, have fun!" Michael ran off, grabbing a tray of weirdly shaped gelatin and shots of various sodas and handing them to the guests.