Chapter 44

"I made you coffee," I said.

Mali-Koa slowly got up from the couch. She sat upright, rubbed her eyes, and looked at me.

"Thanks, Luke," she said. She turned, looked around, and then at the stairs. "Where's Calum?"

"He left for work," I replied. Speaking of, I would need to find a job, too. Yes, I had money, but that wasn't going to be enough for me to make a living. I'd need to earn some more. I should buy my own place, too. And I'd need to adapt to the time-zone and the currency...

"It's Sunday," Mali-Koa said with a frown. "Calum doesn't work on Sundays."

Realization dawned on me, and I looked down on the floor. Calum didn't want to be near me.

Mali-Koa looked at me sadly. "Well, I have to get ready for work," she said, making her way to the staircase. "You'll be okay on your own, right?"

I nodded. "I was actually thinking that I should go sightseeing a little bit."

Mali-Koa's frown turned into a smile. "Okay. Just make sure you find your way back."

I nodded. I told Mali-Koa to have a good day at work as she climbed up the stairs. I heard the water faucet turn on, and I made my way out of the house. Luckily, my location services still worked, and I saved the address on Maps so that I could get back here.

I went to wherever my feet led me.

Sometimes I would turn left on a street. Sometimes I would turn right. I knew I wasn't going in circles, but I wasn't sure of anything else. Maybe if I walk far enough I can walk into the ocean and drown.

It wasn't until I bumped into someone when I knew I was in the "tourist" part of Sydney.

"Sorry, sorry, I'm so, so sorry," I rambled. The woman just awkwardly pursed her lips and nodded her head. I apologized once more and started to walk away, figuring that I might be better to walk looking up this time. But I didn't, because I was just like that, and I challenged myself to look at the ground and not bump into anyone while walking.

Challenge fucking accepted.

I looked at my black Chuck Taylor's as I walked. These were a new pair, as my previous had given in and torn at the heels. I didn't want to wear shoes for a week unless I had my precious babies. Ben called me irrational (and I took that to offense, believing that mother dearest indeed exceeded the highest level of irrationality), and so he took me to buy new shoes. Of course, I bought yet another pair of black-on-black Chuck Taylor's. A bit expensive, but totally worth it. I love this brand of shoes.

I didn't know what to expect of Sydney.

There were so many families here, checking out the sights. There was absolutely no doubt that the majority of the people here were tourists—whether or not they be from other parts of Australia or out of the continent. A part of me was expecting it to be like Santa Monica, with a boardwalk with restaurants, shops, an amusement park, and a pier for a lovely view of the ocean. Another part of me also expected it to be like Hollywood, with nightclubs on every block, museums, and more (very expensive) restaurants. Yet another part of me knew that Sydney could be nothing like Hollywood (I seriously doubt they have a Walk of Fame here, but I have yet to find out), so I was leaning more towards the Santa Monica possibility.

But of course, I was in another country, in another continent, and comparing this new country to my home country is wrong.

So far, I didn't see any pier or amusement park on the beach, but I tried to get that image out of my mind. This wasn't America. I didn't expect Australia to be that different, but hey, each country has their own genuineness.