Chapter 41

I had never been on a plane before.

I was a little bit anxious. The closer we got the the airport, the harder it became for me to say goodbye to Ben and Jack. It was a bit rushed, really. Jack, Ben, and I immediately crammed into Jack's gray Nissan, I taking the front seat and Jack taking the wheel. Of course, Celeste wouldn't let us go alone. She and Zoe sat in the back with Ben.

It was a hassle getting through the airport. Zoe wouldn't stop crying. When it was time for me to get on the plane, her crying had gotten worse. I promised that I would get her something and give it to her (though I wasn't even sure if I was going to come back to the United States). Jack pulled me into a hug before I left, and he was extremely reluctant to let go. Ben, however, didn't even look at me. He stood stiff and straight, and when I was just about to get on the plane, he started crying. Benjamin Hemmings: the true definition of calm and collected.

"First time on a plane?"

I turned to the person next to me. She was a middle-aged woman with tired eyes and frizzy brown hair. She was probably on a business trip, judging by the professional-looking jacket and the pencil skirt.

I nodded, my jaw still shaking.

"It's not all that bad," the woman said. "Then again, I'm used to it... But my first time was okay. Well, it wasn't terrible..."

I don't know how this was supposed to make me feel better.

Even though she told me it wasn't all that bad, my palms were still sweaty and my leg was still bouncing up and down. I think it seemed to bother the middle-aged woman next to me. My bouncing leg seemed to shake the seats, and the woman kept staring at my leg with a slight glare, but she couldn't bring herself to tell me to stop. I didn't want to stop, anyway. Too bad for her.

Attendance ladies were walking down the aisles once the plane was intact. She asked me if I wanted peanuts. I told her no, but thanked her anyway. She told me to get some sleep.

"It's a fifteen hour flight, after all," she said.

I almost laughed. Sure, tell an insomniac to go to sleep. (Then again, she didn't know I was an insomniac, so I guess my previous comment did not apply.)

The business woman beside me fell asleep immediately. Her neck was craned and her head titled to the side. She looked extremely uncomfortable. If I just moved her head just a little bit more, I'm pretty sure I would snap her neck—

I shouldn't be having these thoughts.

This was going to be a long flight.

✘✘✘

"Hello, passengers! We have just arrived at Sydney, Australia."

I just really hoped that my 3G worked here.

Never mind, it doesn't.

I grabbed my duffel bag from the top compartment. I put the strap on my left shoulder, having the strap go around my shoulders so that my bag rested on the right side of my body. I followed the crowd of people leaving the plane, trying my best to make sure that nothing was taken out of my pockets.

Once we walked out of the plane and onto the airport at Sydney, I already felt it cooler than in America. Of course, Australia is on the other side of the equator. It's fall here. Damn, it was getting to a nice and warm spring weather back in the States. Not that it'll matter, anyway. I'm wearing my Fall Out Boy pullover about five thousand percent of the time.

Everything seemed so different. A little less polluted, perhaps. There were so many beer brewing factories in California... It wasn't as humid as it was back in America. It was nice and cool. I loved autumn—it was my favorite season. It always brought an excuse for me to wear my pullover, not to mention that it's not too cold or too hot. I like the falling leaves. I just really like autumn.