Chapter 43

"Well, that was... unexpected," Mali-Koa said after a few minutes.

"He's so much hotter in person," I blurted out.

Mali-Koa glared at me, her hands on her hips. "That's the first thing you say?!" she scolded.

"Well, yeah—"

"No, it's not!" Mali-Koa said in an exasperated tone. "I don't know what's crawled up his pants and died, but he's obviously not happy. Oh, my gosh, he better act rationally and come back down here. You have no place to stay! There's no way in hell I'm leaving you on your own. You can stay in my room, if you want—I'm not sure if Calum wants to see anyone at the moment—"

"Y-you're going to take me in?" I asked, astounded.

Mali-Koa scoffed. "Of course!" she said. "You're new and obviously don't know your way around and there is no way I'm leaving you on your own so you're going to stay here."

"What about your mother—?"

"Oh, she won't even care," Mali-Koa said casually. "My room is upstairs, all the way at the end of the hall, to the left."

"What about you—?"

"Well, I'm almost an hour late to work, so I have to go. Bye, Luke!"

Mali-Koa hugged me quickly, and she ran down the small set of steps and started jogging to the corner until I couldn't see her. Her hugs felt nice. If her hugs were this nice, I couldn't even imagine how amazing Calum's were.

I walked into the house. I was nice. Simple. Homey. The floors were wooden, and the first thing I saw was a nice little island in the kitchen. There was no separation between the living room and the kitchen. It actually looked really nice. There were a few photographs on the wall. One of them was unmistakably a picture of Mali-Koa and Calum when they were kids, but I didn't have time to see any other pictures. I made my way upstairs in the house I have never been to, quietly walking to the room at the end of the hall.

I passed by a room was I made my way. I could hear Fall Out Boy playing through the door. This was obviously Calum's room, but I couldn't bring myself to knock.

I walked to the room at the end of the hall, and turned left. I expect nothing more from a girl's room. It was purple. Well, more lavender than purple, but you know, it's a shade of. It reminded me of a previous hair color of Michael's. Now I feel bad. I didn't even get to say goodbye to Michael or Ashton. Well, not get to. I just didn't.

I set my duffel bag down on the floor. It felt very weird to me. Suddenly, I'm in Australia, in my boyfriend's house, but he doesn't want to see me, and now I'm sleeping in his sister's bed. Yeah, that's pretty weird. I was very uncomfortable using another person's bed. I felt as if I was invading their personal space.

I fell to my knees and unzipped my duffel bag. I grabbed a random grey t-shirt that I had. I grabbed my high school PE shorts—they were actually very comfortable to sleep in. I hastily pulled off my skinny jeans and took off my current t-shirt, exchanging them for the other clothes. I untied the laces of my Chuck Taylor's, kicked them off, took off my socks, and let my feet breathe. It felt nice to be in comfy clothes. I wanted nothing more than to sleep right now, but I couldn't.

Calum was literally right across the hall and I couldn't talk to him.

That wasn't even true. I could talk to Calum. I made no effort to talk to Calum, and that's a huge difference. Maybe it's because he doesn't want to talk to me. I don't even know what's up with him. Maybe something happened. I should talk to him about it. But, seeing as he slammed the door in front of my face and Mali-Koa's, I don't think that's the best idea right now.