Chapter 24

5/12/14

Day 1         

Dear Calum,

It's our first day at the camp. Luckily, I'm in the same bunk as two guys that I actually like.

It's nice here, I guess. Pretty chilly. We only have about thirty minutes to put our stuff away and accustom to our rooms. I have a bottom bunk—not that it really matters, but I thought like saying it. I thought maybe you might like to know.

Wait. You're not reading this.

I've made a vow to myself that I'm going to ask out Rylee on this trip. In fact, we're going on a night hike tomorrow night. Apparently, it's supposed to be a reeeaaaallyyyy pretty sight, so I'll ask her out then. Hopefully, she'll say yes.

I have to go now.

I love you. I miss you.

Forever Yours,

Luke

✘✘✘

"Luke, you okay?"

Michael climbed down from his bed, which so happened to be directly above mine. I was glad I was bunking with Michael and Ashton. James was in our bunk, too. I was ultimately relieved that Elliot wasn't in our bunk, because I was absolutely positive he wanted to bunk with Michael. But he was in an entirely different cabin, so it was okay.

Michael and I took the bunk-bed right next to the door. I was on the bottom bunk, and he was on the top. James and Ashton took the bunk-bed right next to us. James was on the bottom and Ashton was at the top. Michael and Ashton agreed that they would hold hands as they sleep, but I knew that it was going to end up differently. I was willing to bet money that they would end up sleeping in the same bed—it was big enough for two.

There were two other people in our bunk: Beau Stevens and Rick Giles. Rick was nice; I've talked to him in PE before. I didn't really talk to Beau much. The only things I knew about Beau was that he really wanted Rylee and I to get together, and that he talks a lot. He also used to have a crush on James. I wonder how that will play out...

"I'm okay," I told Michael. "I just feel a little uneasy."

"Well, we're at a very high altitude," he said with a smile. "You're just feeling that you're at a lack of oxygen. Just drink a lot of water. You'll be okay."

I gave Michael a weak smile. It was natural of Michael to think of this stuff. His dad was a paramedic, so Michael was very good at sensing if someone was sick and helping them. Mr. Clifford was a parent chaperone, and so was Mr. Irwin. Ashton's dad was a professional photographer and very funny, but that's all I knew about him.

"Hel-lo!" Mr. Irwin said as he poked his head inside. "We'll be going outside in a few minutes. We're going to get into our day groups and do a little treasure hunt."

Mr. Irwin left the room, and the boys in the room continued to unpack.

"Do you guys know what day group you're in?" Ashton asked, climbing down from his bunk. He came down and sat next to Michael. Out of instinct, their legs tangled together, and I only smiled. It seems as if everyone was getting comfortable on my newly-made bed.

"I'm in Group 1," I told them.

Michael gasped. "So am I!" He wrapped his arms around my neck, and I laughed at him.

Michael let go of his grip around my neck, and he brought his hands back to his sides. "We should go check to see what day group you're in," he told Ashton. Ashton nodded, and the three of us made our way out.