Chapter 42

"You walk home?"

"Yeah," Mali-Koa said. "But it's okay. I like walking. Especially at night."

"I like walking, but not at night," I said with huff. "I'm afraid I'm going to get mugged."

She laughed. "What, are you from California or New York or something?"

"California," I told her. New York and California were basically the only states foreigners seem to know. Maybe some people know Florida, but that's basically it.

"Sorry for flirting with you, by the way," Mali-Koa said. "But I must admit, my little brother chose a looker."

"Um, thanks, I guess..."

"What's your name again?"

"Luke. Luke Hemmings."

"Hi, Luke Hemmings, I'm Mali-Koa Hood."

"Hi, Mali-Koa Hood. I'm Luke Hemmings."

"You already told me your name."

"I know."

We walked in silence. I felt extremely awkward. I started fiddling Calum's necklace and cracking my fingers. Mali-Koa seemed fine. She was walking casually down the sidewalk, her right on on the strap of her handbag, whereas I was completely stiff.

"Er, about how long does it take for you to walk home?" I asked, still fiddling with the necklace.

"A good thirty minutes," Mali-Koa replied. "Twenty, if I walk quickly."

"Okay."

Silence again. It was killing me. I wanted nothing more than to pull out my headphones and listen to music, but that would be rude. How did Mali-Koa not feel awkward?

"Does Calum ever talk about me?" Mali-Koa suddenly asked.

"We try to stay away from the topic of family," I told her.

Mali-Koa looked down.

"He has talked about you, though," I said, trying to make her feel better.

"What has he said about me?" Mali-Koa asked, a little bit happier.

I suddenly stopped. Calum has mentioned Mali-Koa only twice, and he didn't say very good things the two times he's mentioned her.

"He called me a bitch, didn't he?" she asked softly.

I hesitantly nodded.

Mali-Koa sighed. "I don't blame him, honestly. I admit, I can be a bitch sometimes, and it's not even PMS-ing. I just... I just am. Maybe it's an oldest child thing. Maybe it's because I expect so much from him. But it's okay, right?—to expect things from your younger brother? Maybe it's because he's the only real sibling I have. I mean, we have Daniela, but she's our step-sister, whereas Calum and I have the same parents. And with our parents separated, my dad coming occasionally to bring Daniela, and my mom basically gone because she hates knowing that my dad's here, I feel as if Calum can just slip away from me. He's the only real family I have left, and sometimes I abuse the fact."

"Okay."

Oh, my gosh, Luke you're so stupid. You don't just say 'okay'! Comfort her or something—she's your boyfriend's sister so you're automatically supposed to be best friends—

"He hates me, doesn't he?" Mali-Koa asked, her voice strained.

"No, no, no!" I said. "No, he doesn't hate you—"

"But that aside!" Mali-Koa said suddenly. She had a smile on her face, but it looked incredibly forced. "You haven't given me details on your little love story with my brother. I'll ask Calum about it later, but I want to hear your side of the story."