Prologue

Alessandro

"Where are they?" I growled in the man's face, watching as he quivered and shook violently in my direction. My angry eyes were boring into his blood-shot orbs and I savoured the sight of blood dripping from the wounds I had marked on his face. He looked deep into my raging eyes and didn't utter a single word. I raised my eyebrow before balling my hand into a fist and blowing him in the stomach, causing him to groan and double-over in agony. My hand immediately grabbed his damp locks of dark hair and I pulled until his face was inches from mine. "Don't make this harder for yourself. Tell me what I need to know."

"I swear-" He began to croak desperately, but his pleading was soon brought to an end when I punched him flat in the face, making him immediately cough up blood. I knew when somebody was lying and the man infront of me was doing it right through his bloody teeth. He had information on Antonio - one of my most notorious enemies. And I wanted it.

"You'll have it over and done with if you just tell us the truth." Leon spoke over his painful groans. He was my younger brother and my second-in-command. Leon was slightly kinder than I was; he had this softness behind his hardened exterior that would often show itself. He'd never usually do the torturing - it was either me or Oscar.

Oscar was another one of my men. He was selfish and blunt - just like me. There wasn't a single ounce of compassion inside of him except for the people that manage to get to his heart - but that amount is almost non-existent.

I looked at the man and waited expectantly but my patience was growing thinner with every second I glanced into his ugly, bruised face. My face twisted in anger before my fists automatically balled, preparing themselves to finish him off with something that was far more brutal than anything I've done to him so far. His eyes drifted around my tense face and he noticed how my hands were slowly making their way upwards. His eyes widened before I could strike.

"Fine...I'll tell you everything....I promise..."

His voice was broken by his agony but his throat still managed to force out the words. "They are hiding."

"Hiding where?"

"They're hiding near the Estate. Some of them have made their way inside but-"

"Yeah, I've dealt with them." I interrupted bluntly. "I want to know about the rest."

"All I know is that Antonio has sent out around five other men...." The man coughed, his chest clearly burning. "Some of them have made their way to the Estate while others are hiding away and planning their attacks."

"Attacks?" I repeated with my eyebrow raising dangerously. "What attacks, exactly?"

"He wants to kill you.... he wants to clean the whole Bellini family off. I don't know much.... but I know that they're plotting something."

Leon stood over the man with his eyebrows knitted together in angry confusion. He stared at me expectantly and I looked at him in the same way. Antonio was the one person that I would never stop fearing. Not because he has the power to destroy me - because nobody can destroy me - but because of the damage he could leave behind.

The damage that he's already left behind in the past.

He's the reason that my family is broken. He's the reason that I get nightmares every single night. The reason why she's gone.... and the reason why my sweet angel will always have to carry the burden of heartache.

I wanted him dead. I wanted him to suffer for the blood that was never meant to be sacrificed.

"How do you know this information?" I questioned the man, my eyes never wavering from his face.