Chapter 6

Alessandro

My whole body coursed with curiosity and excitement at the revelation of information on Eva — despite the fact that Vito claims I wouldn't like it. I yearned to learn more about the sweet angel — the best and the worst — so that I could truly understand her soul.

But the remains of rage were still rushing through my veins and my muscles were therefore tense. "Finish him off." I told my men as I walked out of the basement. "I'll be right there, Vito."

By the time I had entered my office, Vito was already pacing around the room with his body deep in thought. He was nervous and I was beginning to wonder why. My eyebrows grew furrowed and my lips twisted. "What is it, Vito?"At the sound of my stern voice, his eyes shot up until his face was align with mine. The shock horror in his orbs was chilling and I felt myself become nervous due to his nervousness. "Vito. Tell me."

He inhaled a sharp breath and held the photograph up. The photograph that made my stomach flip over and my heart drop to the deepest pits of my chest.

No...

Eva

"You've got such beautiful hair, Eva." Arianna softly spoke to me, her fingers running their way through my chocolate-brown, wavy locks that cascaded down the front of my body. She made me smile. She made me happy.

Arianna was nothing like the children that I had to care for while working at Antonio's Estate. She was sweet and her heart was filled with love and care; though it was clear I was nothing important compared to the rest of the people that surrounded her, she still took an interest in me. Something that the others never did.

She was an angel. And I was willing to care for her until whenever she told me to stop. Or whenever Alessandro did.

"Not as beautiful as yours." I answered, caressing her soft locks with a small yet gentle smile.

"We have the exact same hair, anyway." She giggled — referring to how both of us possessed long, wavy brunette locks. And we did look similar. In fact she reminded me of the kind of child that I once was. Filled with such strong hope and faith, that even the darkest aspects of life couldn't get in the way of my light.

"Guess what?" I chirped with my eyebrows wiggling in her direction.

A wide smile spread across her little face and she tilted her head to the side. "What?"

"I was speaking to your Daddy earlier today." I began to explain, fiddling with her hair. "And he's asked me if I'd be interested in being your nanny."

Her eyes immediately widened and shone in the most gorgeous way. "What did you say?"

A wide smile spread across my face at her happiness. "I said yes, of course." I told her and she instantly leaped into my arms and wrapped her arms around my neck tightly. Her content laugher was muffled against my hair. "As if I could ever resist looking after someone like you!"

Her arms kept themselves secured around my neck as she pulled away and looked at me — her face inches from mine. "I'm so happy that you're staying Eva! I thought you'd leave and I'd never see you again." Her words made my heart warm up in my chest. I thought the same thing before Alessandro broke the news, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't dreading leaving this place; all the people I had met, had made me feel like I was at home. A feeling that I hadn't experienced in an awfully long time.

"How long are you staying for, then?" Arianna asked me, sitting back in her original position and allowing me to continue with the small braids that I was attempting to do in her hair.