Chapter 2

Eva

My body shivered violently as I walked through the coldness of the night. The streets were empty with only a few people passing by, the lack of concern on their faces reminding me of my unworthiness. The tears that had previously poured out of my eyes had grown to make my eyelids sleepy and weak — constantly fluttering with tiredness.

The silent noises of owls and other nocturnal animals drifted through the air, and I heard the wind sing in my ears — almost mocking the state I was in.

Antonio had completely left me for dead. Anybody could attack me, use me, even kidnap me and nobody would know.... nobody would even care.

I remembered the first night that I was left to walk alone in the danger of the night. It was the night that my father threw me out of the house and told me that if I ever returned, he'd kill me without a second thought. That was the night that I was truly labelled worthless, and the night that I lost any pride that ever existed inside of me.

I undoubtedly presumed that I would die through starvation or hypothermia but then I found my way to Antonio's Estate and I begged him to give me a job. I had some nursing experience and so he decided to give me the role of his part-time nanny and full-time maid. That was one year ago and I could have sworn that I'd be secure in his grasp — away from the dirty streets — but of course, I was foolish to assume his mind.

And now I am back where I began.

The streets didn't look like the kind of place for someone like me. Someone that was as soft-hearted and sensitive to the world as I was. In fact my whole life wasn't suited for the type of person that I was.

The kindness I possessed came from my mother; she was the most loving woman that I had ever known. There wasn't a single person that could ever take away the gentleness that she held — not even my father. And I guess that her personality did her wrong, because it made it easier for my father to destroy her. Piece by peace... he ripped her apart and left her for dead. And then he threw me out to the wolves, most likely hoping for the same thing to happen to me.

I was lucky to find Antonio that night... but something inside of me told me that I wouldn't be so lucky this time.

I noticed a wooden-bench that was placed at the other side of the street; it seemed to be part of a small park. It was clearly old and didn't look very comfortable but at the end of the day: beggars can't be choosers. And so I walked over and laid down on the rusty wood, a few pieces sticking up and poking my sides. It made me squirm and move around in an attempt to find a comfortable position — or at least a bearable one.

My bags were carefully stuffed under my body as I didn't want anybody to steal them while I was sleeping. The dangers that lurked in the night were completely visible but I knew that I was going to have to get used to it so I closed my eyes and almost immediately drifted off.

In the sleep that I hoped I wouldn't wake from...

Leon

Rosie had put-together some sort of stupid disguise for me. My eyes mentally rolled as I strolled down the dark pavements, adjusting the glasses that Alessandro thought were beyond humorous. The bastard. I loved him but sometimes the things I sacrificed for him — like my pride — made me question whether I should be a little more resistant to his orders.

The night-sky was holding the moon perfectly, offering small amounts of light that helped me when finding my way to Antonio's Estate. I had walked for miles and my legs were tired and almost dead underneath me.

Just a few more miles. I could see the buildings from the pavement where I was standing. The headquarters were high and clearly large, and as I walked closer, I noticed the gates that towered above the whole complex. They were meters tall — not letting a single soul pass through except those that had the right. The small gaps inbetween the gates showed the black buildings that were beautiful yet dark and cold when gazing at them. It nearly sent chills through me... nearly.