Chapter 44

Leon

I cleaned the office up one last time.

Everything seemed to be tidy but I felt as though perfection didn't radiate just yet. Then again — perfection would never be reality. There would always be something that would stand in the way.

Especially since our leader was no longer around.

"Are you finished yet?" Rosie questioned at the door-frame.

As I looked over my shoulder at her, I noticed how her face was scrunched up impatiently.

"Patience," I spoke through my teeth which I received a cold glare in return. "This is supposed to be your job anyway."

Rosie would have smoke coming from her ears if that was possible. Her anger was clear in the way she stormed over and grabbed me by the blazer collar. I was brought inches from her face and her narrowed eyes sliced into mine. "Then let me do my job and go and do yours."

My lips puckered up in a mocking way. "Someone is feeling particularly harsh today."

Rosie rolled her eyes and threw me out of her sight. I grinned widely and kissed her on the cheek — just to add to her annoyance — before swiftly pacing out of the office to prevent my ass being kicked.

These moments were rare moments that would rise from the mourned darkness that had been hanging over the Estate for the past month. They were moments that Alessandro would have wanted us to enjoy and that's why every single one of us tried to hold onto them as tightly as we could before they faded and our sorrow was back.

Eva was holding up slightly better. We'd been trying to make her work harder and do things that would take her mind off Alessandro. But it was clear that her heart was still recovering — the broken pieces still scattered around her. As I walked closer to the other office, I noticed her passing by.

She'd clearly just woken up. Ever since Alessandro had stopped being around, Eva had slept until the early afternoon. Most days — I barely saw her except at mealtimes.

Her face was half-sleepy but she still managed to give me a lazy smile as she passed by. "Morning."

"Afternoon," I smirked to myself.

Eva rolled her eyes and I chuckled to myself. As I walked away from her, I looked over my shoulder and called after her. "Rosie left some food for you in the kitchen."

Her thumb rose and I smiled to myself, walking towards where I was originally going. The Estate had multiple offices and each was used for a different purpose. Some of them weren't even used by us. They were used by our workers to discuss certain matters and we didn't tend to disturb them unless they were betraying us — which not many dared to do.

Now that Alessandro was gone — I would soon be the Mafia Boss. The thought made my heart thunder; was I prepared for that kind of role?

I wasn't the same as Alessandro.

He'd always been the one that the family talked about when referring to leading the reign. I'd always been the second-in-command. How could I ever take the role that was always destined for my brother?

I walked into the frame of the door of the office and noticed the right-hand men standing around. Vito and Matteo we're leaning on one of the desks and Oscar was sorting out files — glasses sitting on the bridge of his nose. The image made me smirk.

They all met my eyes when I stepped inside the office.

We'd gathered to organise the funeral for Alessandro. My heart had been thundering ever since I woke up; the thought of sending my brother off once and for all was something that my brain just couldn't comprehend.