Chapter 6

Jade's POV:

"Jadelyn?" a voice called out. It sounded like Fox's. "Are you okay? Jake told me what happened and Mason is probably still banging on the barrier." A loud noise went off from the other side.

"Or he's throwing things at it." I chuckled and turned to face Fox. She was standing there with a concerned expression. "I'm fine."

Fox gave me a look. "You're not fine. You shouldn't blame yourself for what happened." She took a step forward. "They were protecting you."

"And now they're dead." My tone sounded bitter. "It is my fault."

"You can't blame yourself just because you're not like the average werewolf." Fox said. "You should be proud of that. Your parents died so that you could use your gifts for good."

"What good have I done?" I stepped closer until we were at eye level. "Tell me. What good have I done besides bring others misery?"

Fox scoffed. "Misery? You only bring misery to people that stand as a threat to us." Her eyes started to darken. "Without you, we wouldn't have anything. We wouldn't have food or shelter or anything else that our old pack could offer us." She paused. "We would be miserable without you." Fox angrily whipped away a tear. She turned to leave, but she stopped and looked at me.  "So don't you dare blame yourself. Understand?"

I nodded. "Thanks, Fox." I relaxed and wiped away my tears.

"Anytime, cous." She walked through the barrier, leaving me in the kitchen to think. I sighed and took the barrier down and walked into the living room. Sometimes I forget we're related. I wonder if that makes me a bad cousin? Probably not.

"Are you okay?" Jake asked as soon as our eyes locked. I nodded and looked at Pierce.

"I'm fine," I reassured them. "Fox just needed to snap me back to my senses before I did anything stupid."

"I'm glad she did," Zeke pulled me into a hug. "Are you sure you're fine?"

I pulled back and looked into his soft brown eyes. "Do you remember the day we found you?" I asked.

Zeke nodded, slowly. "Of course I do."

"Do you remember what you told me when I asked if you were okay?"

Flashback:

"Do you hear that?" I whispered to Jake. "I think there's someone out there." Jake put his hand over my mouth and strained his ears. A soft cry came from outside. I got out the bed and race towards the door. Jake grabbed my arm.

"What do you think you're doing?" Jake growled as he towered over me. Even at twelve, he was abnormally tall. Maybe it was because I was two years younger than him that he looked really tall.

"I'm going to get that wolf." I crossed my arms and stood up straight. I turned away from him and grabbed the doorknob.

"No, you're not." His blue eyes began to glow in the dark. He grabbed my arm and pulled me closer. "We don't know what could happen if we do."

"Well we're about to find out." I snatched my arm back and opened the door. Jake yelled my name but I was to focused on the little boy in front of me. I squatted down so I was at eye level with him.

"Hi." He sniffled and stood up.

"Hi, I'm Jadelyn." I stuck my hand out. "But, you can call me Jade like Jake does."

"I'm Zeke." He shook my hand. "Who's Jake?" A slight tone of fear was in his voice.

"That's me." Jake appeared next to me.

Zeke stepped closer to me. "Why is he so tall?"

I laughed. "I don't even know. Weird, huh?"

Zeke smiled, but it soon faded. "Can you guys help me?" He asked. "I have nowhere else to go."

I looked at him. "What happened?"

A couple of tears ran down Zeke's face. "There were a lot of them," he paused. "They came out of nowhere. My mom had told me to run, but I went back when I heard her and my dad scream. I wish I didn't because I didn't like what I found," he wiped away his tears in anger. "Bodies were scattered everywhere. Some laced with werewolf poison and others were shot by silver bullets."

I looked at Jake and gave him a look. He nodded, before turning to go back inside. He was probably going to set up Zeke's room.

"Are you okay?" I grabbed Zeke's hand as we walked back to the house.

"What do you think?" He stopped walking to look at me. "I lost my family and my pack. I feel," he paused looking for the right words.

"Alone? Lost? Scared? Miserable?" I finished his sentence. Zeke looked at me.

"Yeah," he said. "How'd you know?"

I looked at him, my eyes turning a darker color. "Because that's what I've been feeling for the past couple of years," I let out a sigh to relax, hoping my eyes would go back to normal.

"Does it get better?" He asked with a hopeful glint in his eyes.

"Yes," I say. "It went away when I found Jake."

He nodded and he turned to stare at the house. "So what's the plan?"

A smile came across my lips. "We're making a pack," I say as we stepped on the porch.

"A pack?" He asked confused. "You guys only look like you're ten."

"That's the point," I said. We're making a pack for all ages."

"What type of pack is that?" He looked at me sideways.

"A rogue pack," I say. "And you're the first member," Jake opened the door for us.

"Welcome to the Pack." Jake said, closing the door behind us.

Flashback Ends:

"You told me that the feeling had went away when you met Jake." He led me back towards the couch and I took a seat between him and Jake.

"Not all of it," I say. "There was some part of me that stilled blamed myself for what happened. So I channeled that emotion to anger."

"Is that why you were always training?" He smirked. "I thought you had an anger problem."

I laughed at him, shaking my head. Jake nudged me and shook his head.

"You're lying!" He smiled. "When we found each other, you tried to hit me. I think that could count as an anger problem."

"You scared me," I reasoned. "You fell from a branch and landed right in front of me. I thought you were from his pack." I pointed at Pierce, who gave me a half smile that made my insides melt. I blushed and looked away.

"Is that how you guys got that idea about putting assassins in the trees?," Mason asked me. I smiled at him, but before I could respond Fox came running into the living room.

"I think we might've found another member," Fox rushed out.