Chapter Nine

Jade's POV:

"Are you sure we can't just tell Pierce the truth?" Jake asked for the fifth time.

"No," Megan groaned. "If we do that, Pierce might die. A very painful death."

My wolf howled in pain at the thought of Pierce dying. Megan cast me a glance, her eyes saddened at me. "Sorry, but you know it's true."

I sighed. "I know." I put some more clothes back into my bag. I zipped it up and slung it over my back.

"Are you sure the projection can work?" Jake closed his bag. "You haven't been practicing your powers that long."

"It'll work." Megan and I say simultaneously. I rolled my eyes as she let out a small laugh.

"So you know the plan right?" Megan looked at Jake and then at me. We both nodded as Jake went to open the window.

"Eight hours?" Megan nodded at me. "I'll go say bye to Pierce," I paused and turned towards Jake. "Wait for my signal." Jake nodded and propped himself on the windowsill. I gave Megan a hug and walked downstairs. Mason and Pierce were sitting on the couch talking to Fox. They stopped once they saw me. I gave her a look and she nodded. Her green eyes flashed to the same shade of my eye color. I clapped and got Mason and Pierce's attention away from her.

"Can I talk to you guys in the kitchen?" Pierce cast a glance at my bag and frowned. We walked inside the kitchen and I put a barrier up. No one could see in and we couldn't see out.

"What's up?" Mason slipped his hands in his pockets, leaning against the counter.

"I'm leaving for a couple of hours." I looked at their confused expressions. "I have to attend an important meeting with a couple of rogues." The lie slipped out my mouth before I could even register what I was saying.

"I thought-

"I was wondering if you guys could watch the pack with Jake until I get back." I cut Pierce off. Placing my hand on his arm, sparks erupted to the spot I was touching. "Eight hours is all I need." I spoke in a sweet tone that I rarely used. Pierce looked slightly shock. Maybe it was because I was being really sweet.

"Please." I pouted, bringing my bottom lip out slightly. It was a stunt I learned from my mom before she died. Anyone I used it on was pudding in my hands.

Pierce's eyes softened and he looked at Mason. He shrugged, but had this weird look in his eyes. It was almost like he knew what I was doing.

"Yeah," he cleared his throat. "We'll watch the pack with Jake until you get back." He voice sounded slightly agitated as he said Jake's name. I smiled and pulled him in for a hug. Little butterflies fluttered in my stomach as I hugged him. My wolf howled in pleasure. She enjoyed being close to Pierce, but I'll never admit it. I took a deep breath in, adjusting to his delicious scent.

I pulled away and undid the barrier. I peaked my head out to see the Projection Jake sitting in the living room with Fox. She sent me a wink as she saw my shocked face. Projection Jake looked so much like the real Jake. I rolled my eyes as I walked out the kitchen.

I turned to Pierce and Mason. "I have to leave now. I'll see you when I get back?" I smiled. They both nodded. I picked up my bag and cast a glance at Fox, who was setting a timer on her phone. She looked at me and waved. I waved back and walked out the door. Before I could transport to surface, a tap hit my arm. I turned around to see Mason, standing there with his hands in his pockets.

"Where are you really going?" Mason stared at me. I sat my bag down and crossed my arms.

"To see some rogues. Is that a problem?" I was slightly agitated. Why couldn't he just mind his own business?

"You're lying." Mason stated. I sighed and pulled out my pocket watch to checked the time. Eight hours could pass by really quickly.

"Fine. I'm going to see an old friend." I say. "Does that make you feel better?" I put my pocket watch away and stared at him. A confused expression crossed his face.

"Then why would you lie about that?" He stared at me. "You could've just told us that. We would've still watched your pack."

"No one is supposed to know I'm going to see an old friend. Only people who've been invited can know about my friend."

"And if we decided to meet your friend uninvited?"

"That won't happen." I sighed. "You'll be dead before you could even say hi." Mason rolled his eyes.

"Some friend you are." He took a step forward. "Why is your friend so important than keeping our trust."

"Because without her," I paused. "I wouldn't have a soul mate."