Chapter Sixteen

Jade's POV:

"What are you doing here?" I asked, while crossing my arms. "Last time I checked, my dreams stay in my head, not end up on my front porch."

The man standing in front of me laughed. I took the time to look him over. He had messy black hair and the same weird blue eyes as me. He was definitely my father.

"Well, when I stopped by earlier you were asleep," he said. "So I thought it'd be less of a shock that I was your dad since I introduced myself to you in your dream. And of course, I was right," he smiled.

I rolled my eyes and peeked over my shoulder to see Zeke still standing there. I shooed him away once we made eye contact. He sighed and headed back downstairs. I looked at my dad to see him standing there, staring at me.

"What?" I asked.

He smiled, shaking his head. "Nothing. You just look a lot like your mom."

I smiled and ran my fingers through my hair. "Are you hungry?" I asked. "Jake made burgers." The smile instantly came off. My eyes widened in surprise. Crap. Did I say the wrong thing? "What's wrong?"

"Our kind don't eat." He said. "Unless necessary."

"Oh," I frowned a little. "Well I can introduce you to everyone then." He nodded and motioned for me to lead the way. I led him back downstairs into the living room. Jake, Fox, Zeke, and Megan were sitting on the couch eating and watching tv. I went to stand in front of the tv. They groaned and looked up at me.

I  smiled and motioned to my dad. "This is my father."

Fox gasped. "You look just like him." Fox narrowed her eyes at him and then at me. "Well it's nice to meet you. I'm Fox." She held out her hand and my dad shook it.

My dad laughed. "I already know who you are," he paused and looked at Megan. "And I know who you are too," but his tone was a little more harsh when he spoke to Megan. "Your parents were great friends of mine and so were yours, Megan." He's probably upset with her.

Jake cleared his throat and stood up. "I'm Jake Cross. It's a pleasure to meet you sir." He held out his hand, waiting for my dad to shake it. My dad eyed him wearily before he shook his hand.

"My name is James Ryder," He said, still hanging on to Jake's hand. I could hear him slowly cracking each of Jake's muscles. Jake looked at me for help, but I just shrugged trying to suppress my laugh. "So tell me Jake," he paused. "How close are you and my daughter?" My dad smiled at him, still holding a death grip on Jake's hand.

"We're just best friends," Jake said, trying to pull his hand away.

"And that's the way it gonna stay?" He questioned. Jake looked at me, but I turned my head, feeling my cheeks get warm.

"For now," Jake stated. I smiled thinking about the first time he told me that. My dad turned and gave me a look before his eyes flashed. I closed my eyes, feeling mine flash too.

Flashback: Jade's POV

I slid off the bed, trying not to wake Zeke. He always needed someone to sleep with ever since we found him. He kept having nightmares after nightmares. They got so worse that he went one week without sleeping.

I closed the door silently and shuffled over to Jake's room which was across from Zeke's and next to mine. I opened it slowly, praying it wouldn't creak. I climbed on top of the bed, sliding under the covers and pressed my back to his bare chest. I felt his arm slowly slide up and wrap around my waist, pulling me closer to him. His breath was soft against my skin.

"Another nightmare?" He mumbled into my back. I nodded even though he probably couldn't see me. I heard him sigh then he began to shift around on the bed. I turned to see him propped up on his elbows. "How long do you think its gonna last?"

I sighed and turned around all the way to face him. "I don't know. He's just 10. And besides, his whole pack including his family died. He needs the time to heal."

Jake sighed. "I know that, but we need time to figure this out." He gestured between us and the whole entire house.

I rolled my eyes. "We'll be fine," I yawned. "Are we done?"

Jake reached up and caress my cheek, causing my cheeks to heat up. "We're done," he shut his eyes. "For now."

Flashback Ends: Still Jade's POV

"Where's your mate, Jake?" My dad asked. I could see Jake tense up as he turned to look at me.

"Shadowlands," He replied coldly, still looking at me.

"Then what are you doing here with my daughter?" He asked. "Shouldn't you be trying to get her out?" My dad's eyes flashed as he stared at Jake.

"I can't," he said. "There's no way out." He turned to look at my dad. A smile crept up on my dad's face. I'm pretty sure this is the wrong time to be smiling. He looked at me with the smile still on his face.

"I need a word with you." I raised an eyebrow in surprise, but nodded anyway. I motioned for him to follow me into the kitchen. Before I could  put the barrier up, my dad stopped me. He raised his hand and I watched as the barrier began to build up, covering the whole entryway and places that were in hearing range.

"What's wrong?" I leaned against the counter crossing my arms.

"Do you remember who Jake's mate was?" He placed his hands in his pockets.

I nodded. "Her name is Myra. Myra Hatfield."

His eyes flashed again as he shook his head. "She's not his mate."

My eye furrowed in confusion. "Then who is?"

He let out a soft sigh. "You are."