Chapter 5

"It was full on Carrie. Midge covered in Moose's blood, screaming like a banshee. It was insane." Kevin told Veronica, Betty, Jughead and I as we sat in the student lounge.

"Kev, what were you even doing there?" Archie made his appearance known.

"You could have been shot, Kev." I told him.

"I was just night jogging, you know, as one does and suddenly, I hear gunshots."

"Can we at least agree now that theres a killer on the loose." Arch said.

"With terrible aim." Juggy snarked and I lightly chuckled.

"Jughead, he murdered Ms Grundy."

"Arch, we dont know that these three crimes are related." Betty told him.

"Guys, can we focus on what matters here?" I asked them slightly annoyed.

"Yeah, Moose and Midge are alive. Archie and Freya's dad survived. The new season of the Matchlerette starts tonight. You're all coming over to watch." V told us.

"There's a shooter terrorizing the town. Do you really want us to watch a gross reality dating show?" Juggy sassed.

"What I really want is for you guys to meet my dad, officially. Back in New York, my dad was always in his study. Doing very bad things, as it turns out. I'm tired of closed doors. I need to know my dads life and he needs to know mine."

"We'll be there, V. Can't wait." V thanked her

"Hey, Andrews." I looked over to see Reggie and another bulldog walk in. "We're going to the hospital to see Moose. You coming?"

"Yeah, for sure. I'll see you tonight, Ronnie." Reggie walked over to me.

"What about you?"

"Um.. no I'll stay here but give Moose my love?"

"Of course." Reggie kissed me and then walked off the Bulldogs and Archie following.

"Ok, remind how that's not weird." Veronica said, while I chuckled.

"They have been doing that for years." Betty chuckled.

"I better go too. I was supposed to meet my peer mentor at Southside High half an hour ago." Juggy walked off but Betty stopped him so Ronnie and I left the lounge and started walking to our lockers.

"Its weird." I shoved her lightly, chuckling.

"It's not, V. We've been best friends since we were 8."

"And you guys haven't done anything together." I sighed at her question and kept walking.

"Wait, so you have?" V asked stopping us from walking.

"Not till a last weekend." Veronica looked at me shocked but then smirked.

"So are you too dating?"

"What? No! No way. It's strictly business. And plus, Reggie and I don't like each other. I mean obviously we like each other but not so much that we would ever date." I told her as the bell went for 2st period.

"Alright. I want details young lady." She said as I started walking off.

"You will." I told her laughing.

$$$$

Dad, Archie and I are in the kitchen talking and eating. "Moose and Midge described him. Same guy that shot you, dad, same hood, eyes-"

"Look, maybe and maybe not."

"Dad, it's him. And if Sheriff Keller's not gonna take that seriously, I think we should... be ready."

"What do you mean, Arch?" I asked him sitting ontop of the counter eating my chicken wrap.

"I mean, maybe we should buy a gun," I looked at him shocked and then to dad, "just be armed in case-"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa."

"Are you serious!?" I yelled.

"Easy, okay? Ease up on that. We're gonna let the cops do their job." Archie sighed out as dad talked. "Gun? What the hell are you talking about? Arxhie, this is not the Wild West. We don't keep guns in this house. Okay? So, just cool it." Dad stood up and took his plate. "I'm going to eat in the lounge room." I sighed out as he walked away and kicked Archie.

"Ow, what the hel, Freyal!?"

"Don't what the hell me, I'm whating the hell you."

"What?"

"Why would you even think of bringing a gun into this house, Archie?"

"It's so we can protect ourselves."

"We don't need a gun to do that." I snapped at him and but my plate down jumping off the counter. "We're going to be late for V's."

$$$$

"Why don't you sit down next to me, loverboy?" V asked as she moved closer to Betty as he sat in the armchair near her while I sat in the one next to Juggy. "Archie?"

"I'm sorry. This thing with Moose... honestly it's like nobody cares. Dad keeps saying, leave it to Sheriff Keller, and I'm like, yeah, he did a great job of catching Jason's murderer. Oh. Wait, I'm sorry, that was us." Archie said raising his voice.

"Inside voices, please?"  Veronica said.

"No, don't stop him. Archie going Travis Bickle is my favorite Archie yet." Jughead smiled as he ate so popcorn.

"But, doesn't it feel like he's targeting us? I mean, specifically? I don't want anyone else getting hurt."

"You know back when we had a getaway on the Cape, all of us got together and hired private security to keep out the riffraff as an added layer of protection." V told us.

"I loved that little house." I whipped around to the new voice to see Mr and Mrs Lodge.

"Daddy." We all stood up and walked over.

"We're on our way to dinner at the club." Mrs Lodge told Veronica.

"I wanted to meet your friends first."

"Great. Thank you." V said obviously happy. "Ah this is Betty Cooper.

"Hi. Nice to meet you." Betty said smiling and they shook hands.

"And Jughead Jones."

"Hi." Juggy greeted and they shook hands.

"Hey."

"You know my dad."

"I do. He's a good man. He values family. I hope his return comes sooner rather than later."

"Yeah, so do we."

"And this is Freya Andrews."

"Hi, nice to finnaly meet." We shook hands. "V has talked all about you." I smiled.

"And, Daddy this is-"

"Archie Andrews. The boy who's captured my daughter's heart."

"Uh, it's nice to meet you, sir." Archie stuck out his hand.

"Ah, please. Call me Hiram." They shook hands. "Listen. I couldn't help but overhear you discussion and I, um... I understand your frustration with Sheriff Keller. As for someone who's had his own share of run ins with the law..." he chuckled. "I can say with confidence that the police aren't always the solution. Sometimes we need to take matters into our own hands. We need to protect ourselves."

"We're gonna lose our table." Mrs Lodge reminded him.

"Oh, yes, of course. Hey, it was nice to meet all of you." We all nodded smiling and they walked away.  "Oh and Archie." We all turned to Mr Lodge.

"Yes."

"Why don't you come over for dinner this week? I looked forward to seeing what you come up with... to save Riverdale." With that they they walked away and we went to watching the Matchlerette making me realize how single I am.