end of the day

for lillian5sos

-

"andrew, go get in the car, and put your brother in his car seat, please!" luke yelled into the living room to his 10 year old.

luke sighed in relief as he complied, not instigating an argument.

luke continued to wipe the baby food off of his little girl's face before quickly picking her up, and rushing out of the door.

he made sure every kid was buckled in before he got into the drivers seat, pulling out of the driveway.

once they were at a stop light, luke quickly pulled out his phone and called michael. he knows he shouldn't talk on the phone and drive, but he has barely any time to talk to michael during the day, and he just wants to hear his voice.

"hey, sweetheart. how's it going?" michael asked, making luke smile a bit.

"you know. i'm dropping andrew off at soccer practice, and he's gonna spend the night with jack tonight, so he's just gonna meet me there." luke said, and michael laughed.

"i think andrew likes your brother more than he likes us." michael said, making luke smile a bit.

"i know. but i'm not complaining. i'm exhausted." luke laughed, but he was telling the truth.

"i'm sorry, baby." michael said, and luke smiled a bit.

"hey, it's okay. how is work going?" luke asked, and michael sighed.

"same old stuff. it's tax season so i never get a break. it's so draining. i could sleep for days."

"me and you both, baby." luke mumbled, pulling into the parking lot of the soccer fields.

"well, since jack is taking andrew tonight, let's get the other two to bed early and maybe we can pass out, too?" michael suggested.

"sounds like a dream, but that's not realistic. with our luck they'll stay up all night." luke giggled.

"i know, but we can only hope."

"you're right."

"alright. it's already 7 so i'm gonna go ahead and leave for the day. i hate working late. i'll probably be home before you get there, so i'll get a shower and everything so when you get home you can have a break." michael said, making luke smile as he put the car in park.

"you don't have to do that." luke said.

"you deserve it. are you hungry?" michael asked.

"no. i already ate with the kids." luke said, stepping out of the car.

"alright. well, i'll see you at home in a little bit. i love you, luke."

"i love you, too."

luke opened up the door to his suv and let andrew out. when he was getting out of the car, he accidentally hit his baby sister, making her scream.

"dad, i'm sorry-"

"hey, it was an accident. you're alright. don't worry about a thing." luke said, giving him a hug.

andrew has always been very shy and apologetic, always feeling like he's done something wrong.

"but-"

"but nothing. i'm not mad. now, uncle jack is here waiting by the field. i'll see you tomorrow okay?" luke said, running his hand over the baby's head to calm her down as he looked down at andrew.

"okay. i love you, dad."

"i love you too."

luke smiled as the little boy ran away onto the field with the rest of his team.

once the baby stopped crying, luke got back into the car and started driving home.

he sighed when she inevitably started crying again, waking up his two year old son.

the two kids cried the whole way home, leaving luke feeling irritated. every time he thought he had things under control, something like this would happen.

he got out of the car as soon as he could when he pulled in the driveway. he opened the door, and unbuckled alex, their two year old boy. he sat him down, and that made the kid cry louder.

luke sighed, and got lydia, the baby, and walked inside, alex following behind.

he smiled when he saw michael in a t-shirt and pajama pants, ready to help luke out.

"poor baby.." michael said, and picked up the two year old.

"i know. he's been crying-"

"i was talking about you, luke." michael laughed, and luke smiled a little, leaning in so michael could give him a kiss on the head.

"they've eaten, and alex is ready to go to bed. he's been running around all day so he's gonna sleep good tonight. he got woken up in the car. that's why he's so mad." luke said over the noise of the two crying kids.

"alright. i'll go lay him down." michael said, and started walking towards the stairs.

"thanks, mikey."

luke walked up behind him, but went into their room. he rocked the crying baby slowly and she gradually calmed down as luke baby talked to her.

he sat her down in her play pen and sighed in relief as she silently messed with her toys.

"he is out." michael said, walking into the room, and making his way over to luke.

"this is the first night in a really long time that we get a break." luke said as michael wrapped his arms around luke.

michael used to be able to lay his head on top of lukes, but the younger boy caught up to him. now they stood there in comfortable silence, their heads resting against one another's.

"i love you so much." michael whispered.

"i love you, too. lay down with me?" luke asked, and michael kissed his head, leading luke over to their queen sized bed.

the blond laid down on michael's side, and michael playfully scoffed. "and what do you think you're doing?"

"well you're gonna hold me, so i'm gonna end up on your side anyway." luke giggled.

michael laid down on top of luke, his head on the younger boy's shoulder. luke ran his hand through michael's light hair, just relaxing under michael.

michael eventually scooted over, laying his head beside lukes.

"you're so pretty." michael whispered.

luke blushed and smiled, kissing michael's lips softly.

"even though our lives are crazy right now, i wouldn't have it any other way." michael whispered, pushing a piece of hair behind luke's ear.

"me neither."

their moment was interrupted by a loud cry coming from the play pen on the other side of the room

"your t-" "your turn."