connect

luke smiled when he saw michael laying in their bed. he was almost asleep, and their baby was passed out against michael's chest, getting in her third nap of the day.

"hey, pretty. come here." michael whispered, and luke slowly walked over to michael, his heart swelling when he looked down at michael holding their 9 month old daughter.

"you wanna take her while i go hop in the shower?" michael asked, and luke shrugged.

"i want to, but she doesn't really like me that much." luke said quietly, reaching down, his hand gently running over the little girl's head.

"don't say that, luke. it's only been about two months that she's lived with us. you just haven't got the hang of it yet, and she's gonna need some time to adjust, you know?" michael said, and luke shrugged.

"but she adores you, michael. she's so attached to you. i want that." luke whispered, sitting down on the bed.

"here..." michael whispered, and sat up, holding the baby tight to his chest. "...let me help you."

"no! she cries every time i hold her- and- and now i'm gonna cry because i just want her to like me." luke whimpered, crossing his arms.

"no, no, no. baby, it's okay..." michael whispered, kissing luke's cheek, and pulling him closer. "...just lay down."

they both laid down, and luke felt nervous as michael handed the little girl to him.

she started stirring around, and luke looked up quickly.

"it's okay. just do this..." michael whispered, and guided luke's hand to the back of her head. "...just hold her gently."

they heard her start sniffling, and luke shook his head.

"i can't do it-"

"yes you can..." michael whispered, wrapping one hand around luke's waist while the other held luke's hand secure. "...tell me why you're so scared."

"i just- i don't know. you're her favorite, and i want her to like me, so i try to hold her, and make her happy, but she hates it. i just can't connect with her like you do- well, she won't connect with me. i'm absolutely in love with her. she's my everything, you know? you two are all i care about, but it just feels so hard."

"i'm gonna go get in the shower, and i want you to try this alone, okay? if she cries, so be it. she's a baby, and it's going to happen, but you have to let her feel your protection and your love. don't be scared."

luke nodded, and michael kissed his cheek.

"you've got this."

luke smiled down at the little girl, and watched as her little brown eyes opened.

she looked around for a second before her bottom lip started to jut out, and little tears filled her eyes.

"no, no, baby. shhhh...." luke whispered, and sat up, gently bouncing her as she laid on his shoulder. he turned his head, pressing his lips to the side of her head. "...i'm right here. it's okay."

she went from softly crying to screaming, trying to wiggle from luke's grasp. he allowed her to lay down on her own, and he laid down beside her, but didn't touch her, leaving her alone.

luke was very patient. he let her softly cry as he just laid his head beside hers.

he hated seeing her cry, but he knows there's not much he can do about it. she had eaten before her nap, and she was just throwing a fit probably because michael wasn't there.

after her crying softened, she turned over on her stomach, looking at luke.

he grinned when she reached forward, her hand grabbing his nose.

she crawled closer, and sat up beside him.

"hi baby." he said softly, and she grinned, her hand on his face.

"you're smiling!" luke said excitedly.

she giggled, and luke leaned up, pressing a kiss to her little cheek.

"see! i'm not that bad, am i?" he asked in a baby voice making her laugh again.

luke heard the shower shut off, and his eyes widened.

he picked the little girl up, and walked over to the bathroom door. he peeked his head inside to see michael pulling his shirt.

"hey, sweetheart. i'll be out in-"

"don't you dare leave this bathroom. she just started to like me and i don't want you to ruin that for me, got it?"

"make me." michael laughed.

"if you step out of this bathroom i swear michael, i will end you."

"luke, you're being crazy." michael laughed, and opened the door all the way.

luke pouted, and walked back over to the bed, laying down.

"i've never gotten a moment with her. now you're gonna steal this one." luke whispered.

"no i'm not because she loves you. look at you two."

luke smiled when he felt the little girl lay against his chest.

"maybe i'm not such a bad dad." luke whispered.

"you were never a bad dad, and you will never be one. you're amazing." michael whispered.

he laid behind luke and pressed his lips to the younger boy's shoulder.

"i feel a lot better." luke whispered, turning his head to look back at michael.

"i'm happy for you." michael whispered, his hand on luke's cheek.

luke smiled a bit before michael kissed him softly.

"look at us. we're a little family," luke whispered, and michael grinned.

"my family."