bills

luke took another sip of whatever was in his cup at this point as he stared down at the stack of papers.

he gripped onto his hair, his bloodshot eyes daring to close, but he couldn't just go to sleep.

it was a little past 9 p.m. and michael was supposed to be home soon. he just worked a 12 hour shift, and was probably going to be tired. he's been working longer and later a lot recently. so has luke.

"i'm home." he heard before michael walked into the kitchen with him.

"hey, babe. come look at this." luke whispered, his voice raspy.

michael walked behind luke, and leaned down, looking at the total they owed in bills.

michael stayed silent, and luke turned around, looking up at the older boy.

"michael, what are we gonna do?" luke whispered, holding onto his arm.

"luke, were gonna be just fine-"

"no we aren't. you keep saying that, but we're not gonna be just fine, michael! how can you look at this and say we're gonna be okay?!" luke yelled, tears falling from his eyes.

"luke-"

"michael, it's not okay.." luke sobbed, and michael pulled him into his chest, holding him tight. he placed his hand on the back of luke's head, trying to soothe him somehow.

"dad?" they both heard, and turned, seeing their 6 year old son with tears in his eyes.

luke wiped his face quickly, and kneeled down, the little boy running into his arms.

"dad, why are you crying?" he asked, and luke shook his head.

"nothing, baby. i'm just tired alright-"

"you're drinking." he said, and luke looked back at the small glass of whiskey. he would never drink a lot with his kid at home, but he just needed a little to calm down.

"listen, baby. i'm alright." luke whispered, and pushed a piece of his son's hair behind his ear.

"no you're not, and that's okay. just tell me because i don't like it when you cry and i don't know why." he said, wiping luke's face.

"i'm just a little stressed out from work is all, but everything's okay." luke said, and blake, thier kid, nodded.

"okay. maybe you should take a nap. you need to feel better." he said, and luke smiled.

"i definitely will. thank you, blakey. why don't you go upstairs, and we'll be there to tuck you in." he said, and blake nodded, kissing his dad's forehead just like michael does before running back to his room.

luke sighed, and sat on the floor, running his hands over his face.

"what about him, michael? i don't want him to go without just because we don't have any money. he deserves better." luke cried, and michael sat down beside luke.

"you know blake cares more about having us than having material things. he's such a special kid. luke, we don't need to buy him a lot of things. we just need to be there for him." michael said, and luke nodded.

"i know. i just wish this was easier."

luke laid down on the kitchen floor, and michael scoffed, laying beside him. "luke, baby, why are we laying on the kitchen floor?"

"so we can wallow in debt together." luke mumbled, and michael laughed even though he shouldn't have.

he pulled luke over and held him, lukes head on his shoulder.

"look, baby..." michael whispered, and started to pull something out of his back pocket. "...i know it's not much compared to what we owe, but it's a start. i got a bonus-"

"holy shit."

michael smiled as luke looked at the check for $5000.

"baby, i got promoted. my pay is pretty much gonna be doubled. i told you were gonna be okay." michael said, and luke hit michael's chest.

"why didn't you tell me this when you got home instead of letting me freak out?!" luke asked.

"because i needed you to know that it doesn't matter how much money we have or don't have. none of it matters. what matters is that i have you and blake. you guys are the only thing that matters." michael whispered, his hand on luke's cheek.

"i love you, michael." luke whispered, making the older boy smile.

"i love you too. so much."

luke pressed a kiss to michael's lips, and they both smiled after pulling back.

"you're all that matters to me..." michael whispered. "...you, and our beautiful baby. that's all i need."