Back to Reality

I was back on the Normandy two hours before the scheduled briefing for our next mission.  I crossed the C.I.C. (command information center) heading straight to the elevator. Grateful it was still early enough that only half as many crew members were at their stations. I made it to the elevator with only three knowing smiles, and just as many snickers as the doors shut blocking my blushing cheeks, tangled hair, and wrinkled dress (confirming all their suspicions)  from my smirking crew. I placed the bag that Kavis gave me on my desk, it will have to wait until after the briefing. I only have two hours to shower, dress and look over the mission dossier before heading to the comm room. An hour later I was washed, dressed, and half way through the dossier.  I have been sitting for less than an hour when my body started to stiffen, and the pain in my shoulder from Kavis's bite started to ache. I stood and stretched trying to work out the stiffness when I felt the inside of both my thigh's burn. "Damn, I forgot about the chaffing." That's going to get worst a few hours in my armor, I definitely am headed to medical to see Dr. Chakwas right after this meeting.

  Stretching the kink from my neck I look down at my desk and noticed the picture of me, Garrus, and Tali from one of the many shore leaves we spent together. It was taken at the bar in the casino on the Citadel. Tali was so drunk she kept calling her straw a "Emergency induction port."  Garrus and I laugh so hard we both fell off our bar stools landing on the floor. The memory of that day  was so clear in my mind I had to chuckle out loud. I picked  up the picture from my desk holding it to my chest as I sat back down. I felt the sting of guilt as I realize I haven't thought about Garrus since yesterday, and I could barely feel that ache from the hole in my soul left from his absence. "Oh God Garrus, where are you!?" I could feel the tears  building up in my eye, when my omni tool beeped "Ten minuted until the briefing Shepard" Edi's Voice shocked me into holding back the waterfall of tears just before the damn was about to break. "On my way Edi, thanks." "No problem Shepard" I took a deep breath, Replaced the picture, grabbed the file off my desk, and headed out to the meeting. 

I entered the comm room, Jacob, Miranda, and Zaeed were already waiting.  "No sign of KasumI yet Shepard." Miranda huffed with an irritated voice. It didn't take much to irritate Miranda, so no one payed her to much attention. "I'm right here Miranda." Kasumi laughed as she decloaked from a far corner of the room, Zaeed snickered. "I thought you spoke to her about cloaking on the ship Commander!" Miranda was even more irritated if that was possible. "Yes I did Miranda" I sighed "Well oblivious she is having trouble following orders." she snapped at Kasuni. "Calm down Mir, you need to learn to relax before you blow those high powered Biotics daddy hooked you up with." Kasumi snapped back at her. "COMMANDER!" Miranda shouted slamming her fist on the table, she hated when Kasumi called her Mir. "Okay everyone, let's take it down a notch, we have a mission to go over!" I shouted. "And you!" I said pointing to KasumI "We need to talk." Miranda looked at Kasumi smiling like she had just won first prize in a contest the two of them were competing for. Kasumi stuck her tongue out at Miranda, and smiled, wiping the smug look right off her face. "One for Kasumi." I snickered as the thought ran through my head.

 " All right" I said as I continued with the briefing "This is what we know, Jack  was captured and imprisoned in the Blue Suns operated prison ship, Purgatory. Cerberus has made some kind of deal with the Warden, who has agreed to release him into our custody. It should take us two days to reach the prison ship. Zaeed, Kasumi you'er with me on this mission. Go over the files, and be ready" "No problem Shepard" Zaeed replied "aye, aye Shep" KasumI saluted and stood at attention. Miranda rolled her eyes. "Joker, set a course for the Purgatory" "will do Commander" Joker's voice can back over the comm system. "Alright everyone dismissed". 

Kasumi and I stepped into the elevator heading down to the crew deck. No sooner had the doors shut, when Kasumi hit the stop button. "Okay Shep, I want details!" She raising her eyebrows up and down. I laughed "We'll talk later okay?  Just give me time to process everything first." I placing a hand on her shoulder. "Sure thing Shep, take all the time you need, you know were to find me." She smiled hitting the button for the crew deck restarting the elevator. We both exited through the door when we stopped. Kasumi heading to her cabin and I headed to Medical "Oh and Kasumi" I called to her over my should "Try to get along with Miranda, we are on a pretty important mission." "Alright Shepard." She turned, and head to her cabin cloaking half way down the hallway. I smile and shook my head  stepping into the Medbay.