Cutting Ties

Thanks to the upgrade on the shields, the Normandy managed to make it safely through the Omega 4 relay, but crashed landed on the collector base. "We knew this would probably be a one way trip" Miranda looked at Jane. "I'm not giving up yet, let's head to the comm room, everyone's waiting. Joker, is the Normandy safe here?"  "Yeah for a while" "Good, get started on the repairs." Joker nodded, as she and Miranda left the bridge.

 Jane had already started the briefing, when Kavis entered the room. Their eyes met, and he nodded. Jane smiled, and took a deep breath, and exhaled with relief. Edi proceeded to project a scan of the Collector Base, "The station's weak spot is likely in the main control center in the center of the station. This is the likely location of the Normandy crew and any remaining colonists". Edi continued, "There are two ways to get to the center of the station, but a tech specialist must pass through a thermal vent in order to get you through to the next area of the station Commander." "Sounds like a suicide mission" Jacob said leaning forward "I volunteer" Miranda placed her hand on his shoulder, "That's admirable of you Jacob, but you lack the hacking skills." Jane looked around the room "Legion, you can hack through anything, I want you in the vents." "yes Shepard-Commander" Legion nodes. "Shepard, you should lead the main squad, someone else must lead a second squad to serve as a diversion, I volunteer". Miranda suggested. "Thank you Miranda, but I want you, and Garrus with me. Kavis, you will lead the diversion team" "I would rather be by your side Commander, but it's your choice." Kavis frowned. "You have the respect of the team, and advanced military training, my choice is made" "Yes Commander" Kavis smiled feeling a tinge of pride at his Bond-Mate's praise, and confidence in him. "Once we're in, they are going to throw everything they have at us, if we're weak, if we're slow, if we hesitate, we die!" Jane pounded her fist on the table. "The Collector's attacked our ship. They took our crew, our friends. They think we are helpless. They're wrong..." "Yeah!" the team roared. "They started a war, but we're not here to finish it, we're here to make them regret it, and to show them and everyone, what happens when you go to far. No more running, no more waiting. Let's hit them where they live. Now lets go get our people!" Jane led her team out of the Normandy, and into the Collector base.

  An hour later they had managed to reach the crew of the Normandy, along with a few last survivors from the colony, with the team intact. The collectors were holding the crew, and colonists in glass tubes, turning them into an organic "paste," which was being piped off to another part of the base. "Alright everyone, we made it this far, time to end this" Jane announced to the team "What about us?" Dr. Chakwas asked in a weak whisper "We are all to weak to fight Shepard" "We can't go back now Commander, we have come to far, nothing is more important than the mission." Miranda reminded her "Joker" Yes commander." "Can you pick up the Normandy crew and colonists?" "I can get closer commander, but they will have to go back the way you came, and meet me." "They will never make it on their own..." Jane sighed "Zaeed!" "yes Commander" "Get them home safe" "I will , send me your coordinates Joker." Zaeed gathered everyone, and headed back to the Normandy. "I'll take a small team with me, the rest of you need to hold this position. Kavis, Kasumi, you're with me. Garrus, I need you to secure this position at all cost" "Will do Shepard, good luck" "Kavis, Kasuni ready?" "Ready Shep" Kasumi smiled, and nodded. Kavis reached over, and placed his talon on his Bond-Mates shoulder, "Ready Commander" "Then let's do this!"

 At the end of the day Jane's small team fought their way threw, Collectors, Husks, reaper swarms, and a human reaper to reach their destination, the center of the Collector base. Jane was about to set the timer to overload the station that would blow the base to hell, when a video message from the Illusive Man came through on Kasuni's omni tool. "Commander Shepard, I suggest setting the reactor to emit a radiation pulse instead of overloading it. This way, instead of the station being destroyed, the Collectors in the base would be killed and the technology left intact for us  to use against the Reapers." "Are you kidding me, this place is an abomination, they were liquefying humans, nothing good could come from keeping it!" Jane yelled. "Shepard, think of all the data we could get, that could help us defeat the reapers." The Illusive Man tried to convince her. "NO!!, I'm blowing it" Jane hit the off button on Kasumi's omni tool. "Joker, did the other team make it?" "Zaeed made it with everyone, and the second team is all here waiting on you" "We're on our way!" She set the timer for five minutes. Jane, and her team made it safely on board the Normandy, and out the Omega 4 relay moments before the Collector base was destroyed. Jane made her way to the comm room, the Illusive Man came through the vid comm. "Shepard, you're making a habit of costing me more then time, and money" He hissed at her. "Too many lives were lost at that base. I'm not sorry it's gone" Jane shot back at him "The first of many lives. The technology from that base could have secured human dominance in the galaxy, against the reapers, and beyond!" "Human dominance, or Cerberus?" Jane could feel herself getting more and more angry. "Strength for Cerberus is strength for every human. Cerberus is humanity. I should have known you'd choke on the hard decisions. Too idealistic from the start" The Illusive Man stood, and walked closer to the vid. comm. Jane leaned forward "I'm not looking for your approval. Harbinger is coming, and he wont be alone. Humanity needs a leader that will look out for them. From now on, I'll do things my way, whether you agree or not" She replied with venom in her voice. "DON"T YOU TURN YOUR BACK ON ME SHEPARD, I made you, I brought you back from the dead!!" The Illusive man shouted. "Joker, lose this channel" The screen went black, and Jane walked out.