A Love Lost, A Love Found

Jane felt sick, every memory of Garrus floated through her mind, as she ran along side of the gurney that held his still, bleeding body. She held onto his talon as if she could force life into him through her fingers. "Hold on Garrus, PLEASE!" She cried out trying desperately to hold the tears back that were forming in her eyes. "We got him Commander." The orderly shouted at her to get her attention. "You need to let go now so we can get him to the table to work on him." Jane just stood there staring down at the turian, (Her turian) who's face was the last thing she saw before she lost consciousness two years ago, and who was her first thought when she woke from her coma, and he was dying right here in front of her. "COMMANDER!" Jane barely recognized Dr. Chakwas yelling at her. "Please commander, let me take care of him." Jane nodded, and reluctantly let him go. She stood outside the med bay looking in the window, feeling helpless. Kasumi stood with her saying nothing, just placing her hand on her arm and smiled reassuringly. Jane placed her hand on top of Kasumi's hand, and squeezed, never taking her eyes off of the commotion inside. Jane finally turned away from the window she had been glued to and saw them, all of them, her whole squad, standing by her giving her comfort with just their presence. Dr. Solus walked passed her giving her a knowing smile, and a nod, as he entered the med-bay to offer his assistance. 

After an hour Kasumi tried to pull Jane to a table to sit, but she stood firm, when Kasumi pulled her a second time she was so mentally week, she hadn't the strength to resist, so slowly her and Kasumi walked to a table and sat down. Her squad followed her and sat in chairs around her at the table. Jane placed her arms on the table in front of her laying her head down, and closed her eyes. Thoughts of Garrus filling her mind as she softly sobbed, begging the universe to save his life.

 Jane lost track of time, minutes seemed like hours, and hours seemed like a life time. She heard the chatter around her, but couldn't focus enough to understand any of the conversations. Then without warning, everything got silent. Jane didn't move, she couldn't move. She heard foot steps, and the chair scrape across the floor as Kasumi stood up. "Shep." Kasumi whisperer in her ear. Jane lifted her head, and watched as Dr. Chakwas walked up to the table they were all sitting at "Shepard." She nodded. Jane held her breath, her mouth was so dry, the words started to stick in her throat "Doctor, how is he?" "He's stable for now, we had to do extensive surgery on his face, but I believe he is going to pull through." Jane let out the breath she was holding, and held on to Kasumi to stop herself from collapsing. "I would like to see him." She sighed.  "He is in and out of consciousness, but you are welcome to sit with him Commander." Dr. Chakwas smiled.  As Jane made her way to the med-bay, each squad member placed a hand on her shoulder, and gave her a reassuring smile as she walked passed them.

 "This way Commander." Dr. Chakwas led her to the privacy screen "Mordin set a chair out for you, he was instrumental in saving Garrus' life commander, his knowledge on different species has already made him an asset to your team." She smiled. "Thank you doctor." Jane said as she sat in the chair next to Garrus. "I'll give you some privacy." Dr. Chakwas smiled as she walked around the other side of the screen, leaving Jane alone with Garrus. As soon as the Doctor was out of her sight, Jane laid her head on the side of the bed, placed her hand on Garrus' chest, and began to cry. A few moments later, she felt her hair being touched. "Don't cry Shepard, I'm fine." She heard a weak raspy voice. "Garrus! I was so worried" She sobbed "Shepard?" "Yeah Garrus.", I thought you were dead" His voice sounded weaker. "Rest Garrus, we can talk later when you are more up to it." Jane took his talon, and held it. "You don't understand, I thought you were dead, I need to find Tali!" Garrus started to get a little agitated. "It's okay Garrus I know where she is, she's on the planet Haestrom, I'll have Joker set a course as soon as I can." "Thank you Shepard." Garrus settled down. "Is tali okay, is something wrong?" Jane asked a little concerned. Garrus was starting to fall a sleep again. "Tali is my girlfriend, we are together now." He whispered. "I thought you were..." Garrus drifted off to sleep. "Girlfriend!?" Jane wasn't sure how she was feeling right now, a little hurt maybe, but mostly happy, happy that her two best friends were able to find comfort in each other after she was gone. She stood, and subconsciously place her hand on her shirt covering her commitment mark from Kavis. like Kasuni said, "I will always hold a place in my heart for you Garrus, but we have both moved on." She whispered more to herself then anyone. "Joker." She spoke into her omni too.l "Yes Commander?" "Set a course for Haestorm." "Aye, Aye, Commander...Joker out" Jane looked down at Garrus. "We'll get Tali Garrus, I promise." She reached down, and place a hand on his shoulder then turned and walked out of the medbay leaving her best friend asleep, and alive.