No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Jane left the cockpit, heading to the elevator with Garrus following close behind her. "Want to talk about it Shepard" "Actually, I'm feeling a little dizzy" Jane started to fall towards the floor. "Woe there now, I got ya." Garrus put an arm around her waist. "Wow, my head is spinning." Jane leaned into him. Garrus moved her hair back. "Well, I guess it would be, you have a pretty deep gash on the side of your head, now how about we get you to medical." He looked down at her. She was pale and sweating. "Ya know Vakarian, I think that's the best idea I've heard all day." "yeah well its early." He chuckled "Give it time." "Care to give a girl a hand?" Jane felt her legs going out from underneath her. "It would be my pleasure." Garrus scooped her up into his arms just as Jane went limp." He carried her into the elevator heading to medical. 

"Hey Doc, wanna give me a hand?" Garrus cried out as he walked through the med-bay doors.  Dr. Chakwas turned around. "Oh God Shepard!" She sighed. "What has she gotten herself into now?" "I don't know Doc, but she has a pretty nasty gash on the side of her head." "Put her over there on the table, I'll grab some things and be right over." Garrus gently laid her down, he then reached over brushed her hair from her face, and gently touched her cheek. Garrus turned to see what was taking the doctor when he saw Tali at the door watching him. "Tali, I was..." He reached up with his talon, and rubbed the back of his neck. "it's okay Garrus, I think we should talk." "Yeah, I guess we should." "Go on Garrus, I got her, you go, and take care of what you need to." Dr Chakwas walked over to Shepard, and started to clean her wound. Garrus put his head down, and walk out after Tali. 

 Jane opened her eyes, "Hey Doc." She started sitting up, then realized it was going to be harder than she expected. "Easy does it." Dr. Chakwas grabbed her arm helping her to sit. "You have a pretty deep wound there, Fifteen stitches." Chakwas placed the needle in a tray. "Well that explains the headache." Doc laughed and shook her head. Just then Admiral Hackett entered the med-bay. "Sir!" Jane tried to stand. "Don't get up." Hackett waved her down. "Yes Sir." "It sounds like you went through hell on that asteroid, how you feeling Commander?" He walked closer and stood in front of her. "I'm fine Sir." "Good, glad to hear."  "I wasn't expecting to see you here on the Normandy Sir." Jane knew this couldn't be good. "I decided to debrief you in person, since you did this assignment as a favor to me." Jane nodded. "What have you heard Sir?" Hackett sighed. " All I knows is that I sent you out on a personal mission, and at the end an entire system is destroyed." Hackett never took his eyes off her. "I was hoping you could fill in the gaps for me." Jane explains that she confirmed Kenson's proof that the Reapers were coming, and destroying that relay was the only way to stop them. Jane continues by saying that Kenson sedated her for two days, and that she restarted the engines with just over an hour left."I tried to contact the colony, but time ran out." Shepard said lowering her head. "You truly believed the Reaper invasion was a threat?"  "With out a doubt Sir."  Hackett nodded. "I'm sure all the details are in your report, and I know what you did was for the best of reasons, but that doesn't change the fact that three hundred thousand batarians are dead." "Their deaths saved the countless trillions that would have perished had the Reapers got into the galaxy, and if there was any other way, I would have done whatever I could to save those colonists." Jane's voice cracked slightly. "I stand with you on your decision Commander, hell if it was up to me I would give you a damn metal, but not everyone will see it that way." Hackett shook his head. "The batarians are looking for any excuse to start a war, they are going to want retribution for this." Jane stood. "What do you suggest Sir?" "You take care of whatever it is you need to out here, but when Earth calls, you be there, in full dress blues, ready to take the hit. In the meantime, keep the report, I don't need to see it to know you did the right thing." "Yes sir". "You did a hell of a thing Commander". "Thank you Sir." Jane saluted as he turns and left the med-bay. 

 A few minutes later Jane was in her cabin holding the bottle of pills Dr Chakwas gave her for pain, and she was in a lot of pain. She headed into the bathroom filled her glass with water, and downed two pills. She stood there staring at her reflection in the mirror. A fat lip, a black eye that was purple and half shut, a large cut across her head just above her hair line, not to mention the dozen or so cuts and bruises all over her body, she did look a sight. Jane decided to clean up a bit before she vid comm Kavis. "He must be worried as hell." She sighed. She was suppose to be back on Omega a week ago. Jane winched from the pain as she undressed, and turned on the shower, she stood with one arm against the wall and her head down as the warm water rinsed the caked on blood and dirt from her hair, and face. After drying off, she tried covering the bruises with make up that only made it look ten times worst, so she washed it off, then slipped on Kavis' shirt, and sat in front of her terminal. There was at least ten missed calls from him. "Well here goes nothing." Jane took a deep breath. The Normandy would be docking on omega in less than twenty hours, so there was no point putting this off. Jane crossed her fingers as she punched in Kavis on the vid comm. "Hell Jane it's about...SPIRITS!" Kavis' eyes widened. "Oh Jane." He placed the palm of his talon on the screen. Jane was so emotionally, and physically exhausted, that when she saw his face, she couldn't hold back any longer. She placed her palm over his and cried.