Eight

PRESENT DAY
LIBERTY HIGH SCHOOL
GIRLS LOCKER ROOM
IMOGEN'S POV
TAPE 1, SIDE B

The truth was that Alex and Jessica started dating.

They isolated me and Hannah because they thought we would feel some type of way about the two of them dating. Honestly, I didn't. I didn't care at all, but Hannah did, and I think Hannah cared a lot more than what she let on. But I told Alex and Jessica I didn't care and that they could've just told me, and I would've happily supported their relationship.

"Imogen, last practice or what?" I looked up from the bench in the locker room to see that Jess and Sherri were in the doorway. Honestly, after all the shit that went down with Hannah, Alex, and Jessica, Sheri and I got really close. I honestly wanted her and Clay to date more than I wanted Clay and Hannah to.

Jess and I have also found our way back to being close again. It happened towards the end of sophomore year, and we really reconnected over the summer, so now, me, her and Sheri.

We're the new trio.

"Yeah, just give me a second, I'll be right out." I said.

"I don't know how you can still be listening to FRIENDS. We've practiced it so many times, I'm sick of hearing it." Sherri said, and I shrugged my shoulders.

"It's a good song, and I'm imagining our routine in my head and how I want it to be. Stretch, I'll be out there soon." I said, and both of them nodded their heads before walking back into the gym, and I sighed, before pressing that damned play button once again.

  ► 

"It was fine, Jess. It was. You're the kind of girl that boys like to like, not spread rumors about it. Imogen you're that girl too. . but again. It's not your turn. You're the nice girl, the kind that becomes a cheerleader with her real best friend. . the captain."

    ❚❚    

"Don't go look at me with that look in your eye, you really ain't going away without a fight, you can't be reasoned with, I'm done being polite. I've told you one, two, three, four, five, six thousand times."  

During the midst of our routine for the pep rally, I was making sure everyone was hitting their cues, and for the time being, they were, and I could tell the school was loving it. Let's be honest, the school does love our routines. . well, my routines since I'm the one who comes up with them.

I saw Bryce sitting on the bleachers, with a smug smirk on his face as he watched me cheer, but I tried to not let it distract me. I also decided to not look for Justin either. He still wasn't here, but I wasn't going to let that affect me and this routine.

I spent too many weeks perfecting it.

"Haven't I made it obvious? Haven't I made it clear? Want me to spell it out for you? F-R-I-E-N-D-S. Haven't I made it obvious? Haven't I made it clear? Want me to spell it out for you? F-R-I-E-N-D-S." Jess stumbled a little, but I couldn't do anything.

It was her first pep rally as a cheerleader.

I spotted my brother in the crowd and gave him a smile, and he smiled back at me. I like seeing Clay smile, ever since Hannah killed herself, he's been really down in the dumps, honestly, maybe mom renewing that prescription was a good thing.

For him, not for me.

When the song ended, everyone was clapping, and we smiled and waved our way to the front of the entrance of the locker room where the basketball team was going to be running out under our tunnel, so let's see if my boyfriend is one of the people running out under the tunnel.