Twenty-Five

MONET'S CAFE
IMOGEN'S POV

We had a service for Hannah.

Clay spoke and it was beautiful. After we went to Monet's. They let us create a mural on the blackboard with chalk dedicated to Hannah. Now, Alex, Jess and I sat at one of the tables we used to sit at when the four of us would come here after school. If only Hannah could be with us now. Jessica looked at me, and then smiled at Alex.

"Do you remember when we first met you?" She asked.

"Right at that table over there." I said, gesturing towards it. Me, Hannah and Jess were sitting at the table the three of us are sitting at now, and Alex was sitting by himself when we all decided as a group to approach him and befriend him.

"You thought we were crazy." Jessica said, and Alex laughed.

"No. I was just like. . terrified, and amazed." He said, which made me and Jess laugh. "I mean, you guys were fearless." He said.

"I don't remember being fearless." Jess said, rolling her eyes.

"This um. . this is really inappropriate at a wake, especially given the whole history, but. . I've been. . I've been trying for like, two weeks now to get up the nerve to ask you, Jess. Um. . if you would want to go to the Spring Fling, as like. . two people who date?" Alex asked.

"That is my cue to leave, but I want the details later." I said, smiling at Jess. She nodded her head as I stood up from their table and walked away.

"Yo, dude!!" I heard Zach yell really loud. I looked over to see that my mom and Justin walked inside, and my eyes widened as I walked over to them as Zach was picking Justin up in a hug.

"Oh my god, you're crushing me." Justin said while laughing.

"Dude, you're like, down to nothing. We gotta get you on a program." Zach said as I approached which made me laugh. "How the fuck did Bryce only get three months and you got six?" Zach asked. Yes, that's right. Justin got six months probation, even though he didn't even assault anyone.

"Because the system is fucked up." I said.

"Aren't you pissed?" Zach asked him. Justin just shrugged his shoulders.

"I guess I just wasn't surprised." He said. I laid my hand on Justin's shoulder and gave it a squeeze when I saw my mom gesturing for me to come over. She was sitting with Clay, so that must mean she needed to talk to me.

"It's so nice that everyone came." She said when I sat down, I realized Justin had come over as well, and my mom looked between the three of us. "Maybe I should leave the three of you alone to catch up?" She said, and then looked at us.

"Maybe you have some things to talk about." She said, which I knew what she was talking about. She had this conversation with us earlier. Her and my dad want to adopt Justin. And I know it's like, he's my ex-boyfriend and he's going to be my 'adopted sibling' but honestly, I don't see it like that. Obviously I still love Justin, and want to get to a place where we can be together again, and my mom did say. . if that happens, if we get back together, she's already set the ground rules.

Honestly, I just see my parents adopting him as Justin finally getting the stability and love that he needs from two people who can give that to him and more. My parents are amazing people, and they wouldn't want to adopt Justin if they didn't already love him.

"Oh right, yes. . there are." I said.

"Okay." Mom said, standing up from the table to leave us alone.