Thirty-Six

PRESENT TIME
JUNIOR YEAR
TAPE 6, SIDE A
BRYCE'S POOL-HOUSE
IMOGEN'S POV

  "So, let's start with the part of the party that I left out. At that moment. . everything was perfect. And for the first time in a long time. . I could imagine a future where I was happy. How good life could be. And I know you felt it too. I wanted you to do everything you were doing. . so I don't know why my mind took me everywhere else. And I thought of every other guy. And they all became you. Part of me was saying. . 'please don't leave.' Part of me never wanted to see you again. But you walked out the door. . like I told you to. Why did you have to leave? It was the worst thing ever. And then, it got worse."

❚❚

"Again. . again, and fucking again."

I said with a smile on my face. When we got out of the hot tub, me, Bryce and Jessica went inside the pool house. Bryce called up Zach and Monty and some other jocks and told them to come over, Monty was playing video games on the couch of course, while Zach, Jessica and I were playing Texas Hold 'Em, and I was kicking their asses.

"Yeah, yeah, just take the money." Bryce said, and I smiled.

"Don't be a sore loser, Brycey. . again." I teased and he rolled his eyes.

"That's like, twice." Bryce said.

"This is embarrassing at this point." I said to him, and Jessica laughed.

"Really? You wanna rub it in now?" He asked, and I smiled.

"Just a little. I'm so fucking rich!" I exclaimed, and I knew I was drunk, and Bryce was just laughing at me, but it's okay, because I was laughing at myself.

"Yeah, you win once, Mimi." Bryce said, and then he exclaimed. "Justy! Alex!" And when I looked up and saw Justin, I rolled my eyes and took another sip of beer. "About fucking time you guys. These cards are getting stale. Come on, sit down." Bryce said to them.

"It's just that, Immy and I had this thing planned." Justin lied, and I laughed.

"No, we didn't." I said.

"We were gonna get late dinner. Let's go." He said, and I was just counting my money. I know I was drunk now, but I was positive that Justin didn't say anything to me about a late dinner. He didn't even ask me where I went when I left school early, or anything I did.

"When did you tell me about dinner? Was that before or after you walked out on me today, and didn't even bother to check on me?" I asked him. Zach and Bryce both looked at me and then they looked at Justin.

"Oh." Bryce said. "Justin, sounds like you better make it up to her. By losing a few hands. Come on, sit." Bryce said to him, and I just looked at Justin and took another sip of beer, waiting to see what he was going to do.

Zach awkwardly cleared his throat as Justin sat down. "Alright, well uh, the game is Texas Hold 'Em. Five dollar ante, five dollar minimum bet." Zach said, he was the dealer, he wasn't actually playing, so I guess I've just been kicking Bryce and Jessica's asses.

"Don't worry, I got you staked. Your girlfriend's been playing with my money all night anyway." Bryce said to Justin and I shrugged my shoulders while laughing.

"Alex, sit down." Jessica said to him, and he shook his head.

"No, I'm good. I hate poker." He said.

"No, you have to play. Everybody's playing. Come on." I said, standing up from the table, and I made Alex sit in my seat, and then I sat down on Bryce's lap, just to get the satisfaction of the glare that came onto Justin's face.