Eleven

PRESENT TIME
JENSEN HOUSEHOLD
IMOGEN'S POV

"Do the flowers make it seem like we're trying too hard?" My mom asked my father as she set a vase full of flowers onto the dining room table. Today, Justin's social worker was coming in to make sure that our home was a right fit for him to live in, I think. I don't know. She'd be looking at the house, interviewing my parents, Clay and myself.

"A little. Are we flower people? I feel like we're not flower people. We should just be us." Dad said, and my mom picked up the flowers and moved them back to the counter by the sink.

"Mom, Dad. . it's okay. You have one great child, being me. . and one child who's making it, I guess. . being Clay. They're going to see that this is the perfect home for Justin, no need to freak out. You guys are great parents." I said. Both of my parents looked at me with a smile, appreciating my words, before the door opened and Clay walked in.

"Hey, kiddo. You ready?" Dad asked.

"For?" Clay asked.

"I told you he would forget. . I should've bet money on it." I said, and my dad gave me a look, which made me laugh.

"Sweetie. ." He trailed off, and I laughed a little before he turned his attention back to Clay. Of course I wouldn't forget this day, it's an important day for Justin that brings us closer to him actually being able to legally be here and never have to worry about Meth Seth or his deadbeat mom again.

"Justin's home visit. The social worker is going to be here any minute." Mom said.

"That's today. . Awesome. Do I have to be here for it?" He asked.

"Clay, it's very important that we show them that we're providing Justin with a happy, healthy home environment." Mom said.

"So, in other words, yes. You have to be here." I said.

"Are you. . uh, you still feel good about all of this, right?" Dad asked him, and Clay nodded his head.

"Oh, yeah. No, totally, I'm good. I. . just had something I had to do. I'll figure it out." Clay said. I think he meant Tyler, I'm pretty sure that today was his day to pick him up. Clay looked up from the ground and noticed the looks our parents were giving him and he immediately perked up.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Yeah. . Happy, healthy, got it. All good." Clay said, walking away, and I followed him out of the kitchen. We both ran into Justin who was coming down the stairs, in a bathrobe, so he had obviously just showered.

"They are particularly high strung today." Clay said to Justin who was immediately speaking.

"Hey, Bryce was shot." Justin said to us.

"What?" Clay asked.

"Yeah. The Evergreen Country Register reported it this morning." Justin said, handing Clay and I his phone so that we could read the article on Bryce that had been pulled up.

"Shot. . with a gun." Clay said.

"I mean. . that's fucked up, right?" I asked. I will never forget what Bryce did to me, ever. . but even still, like I told Clay before. Bryce was still a human being. He had a mother who loved him. She didn't deserve to lose her child, no parent deserves to lose their child, and no human being deserves to die. Unless you're a serial killer like Jeffrey Dahmer, or Ted Bundy, and although Bryce was horrible.

He wasn't on their level.

"Don't say anything to them yet." Clay said to us.

"Believe me. .-" Justin was cut off by Clay.