Forty-One

JENSEN HOUSEHOLD
TAPE 7, SIDE A
IMOGEN'S POV

The next morning when I walked downstairs into the kitchen, my mom was washing dishes, Clay was pouring himself a cup of coffee and when they heard my footsteps they all turned to look at me. I knew I blew up on my mom last night, but I hope she doesn't try and bring it up, because I definitely don't want to talk about it.

"You're still drinking coffee?" My dad asked my brother.

"You're still drinking coffee. Imogen still drinks coffee." Clay said as a statement instead of a question, and I rolled my eyes because he added me onto the end of it.

"Yes. I guess we just hope more for our children." My dad said.

"We'll probably live longer, if that helps. If your generation doesn't destroy the planet first." Clay said and I rolled my eyes and once he was finished pouring his cup of coffee, I took it right out of his hands. He gave me a look but said nothing, and our dad laughed as Clay poured himself another cup of coffee.

"It's too late, I'm afraid." Dad said.

"Guys. . about the Baker trial. .-" My mom started to say to us, but my dad cut her off.

". .-Can we just have one morning without discussing that trial?" He asked, and I nodded my head. I just finished my tape and hearing everything from Hannah's perspective just made me realize how much of a bitch I was that summer, and I became an even bigger one after Jeff died. I can't believe I told Hannah I wished her and Jeff would switch places. . because she's right, now they're both dead and I'm still miserable.

"I agree with dad." I said, speaking up for the first time since I walked down here.

"The plaintiff's subpoenas go out today." My mom said.

"Who's getting one besides us?" Clay asked.

"Wait. . I'm getting one?" I asked and my mom nodded her head.

"Most likely. . that's what I wanted to talk to you about last night, but you locked yourself in your room. Are you alright?" She asked, and I nodded.

"Yeah. . sorry, I just, um. I visited Jeff's grave the other day and I guess I'm still a little emotional about it." I said, which wasn't a lie, but I definitely wasn't going to tell her what happened at Bryce's house last night.

"But. . when it comes to others getting subpoenas. . I'm not at liberty to discuss it." She said. "The other day you asked me if a person could be prosecuted if they hurt someone but the victim couldn't come forward." My mom said and I immediately looked at Clay.

He asked mom about this?

When Clay met my eyes, he immediately looked away and I shook my head as our mother continued to speak. "You said it was hypothetical, but. . you were talking about Hannah weren't you?" She asked and Clay looked at me and my eyes narrowed at him, he better not tell mom he was talking about me.

"I wasn't, actually." He said, and I could feel myself getting angry.

"Because, if something happened to her, and you were involved in any way. ." She trailed and Clay and my father looked at my mom.

"You think I hurt her?" Clay asked.

"Lainie." My dad said and she shook her head.

"I don't." She said.

"If I did hurt her, and I admitted it, I could go to jail." Clay said, and now I was thinking, he was going to try and get Bryce to confess to what he did. . to me, and Jessica.