Twenty-Three

PRESENT TIME
JUNIOR YEAR
LIBERTY HIGH SCHOOL GYM
TAPE 4, SIDE A
IMOGEN'S POV

"Maybe you think you deserve everything you get. . and more. Maybe you're just used to hearing the cheers of the crowd. Maybe you can't imagine what it feels like to be on the sidelines, Zach. . like most of us are. You can't imagine why a little piece of paper could mean so much. Maybe you don't know what it's like to need a lifeline, Zach. The day after you insulted me in the cafeteria, my compliment bag was empty. Not even a cute bunny. By the end of the end of the second week, I knew something was up. Maybe I should've let it go, but I didn't."

❚❚

"Clay, what are you doing here?"

I quickly pulled my brother off of the basketball court, since everyone was yelling at him to get off the court. I know he told Dad he was thinking about coming to the game, but I didn't think he would actually show up. Everyone in my family knows that cheering is my safe haven, and it's not that I don't want them here, but I show them videos and pictures after the game.

"Told Dad I was coming." He said, shrugging his shoulders and then walking off.

"Yeah, but I didn't think you would actually show up!" I called out after him, and then our coach walked up to me and Sheri.

"Where the hell is Jessica?" She asked, and Sheri and I looked at each other before Sheri spoke.

"She texted me and Immy. . told us she was babysitting brothers and she has to wait for her mom to get home before she can leave." Sheri said, and our coach shrugged.

"Well, we can't wait for her." She said, and then she stepped to the side. "Okay ladies, let's go!" She exclaimed, and all the girls ran out onto the court, cheering and waving their pom poms so we could get to the section of where we stand, but I was waiting for Sheri.

"Jensen, come on, throw the damn ball!"

I looked up in the crowd, because we cheer in front of the crowd, and my brother had the ball in his hands and he was just staring at Zach, I sighed, because I really wish he wouldn't have came, I was trying to give nothing away in my face, but this was so embarrassing.

"Clay, give him the damn ball!" I hissed, but my brother's eyes didn't move from Zach's, and Sheri gently touched my arm and I looked at her. "This is so fucking embarrassing." I whispered.

Then Tyler took the ball out of Clay's hands and threw it back onto the court, and then I tapped Sheri because I noticed Jess came in and coach was storming over to her, so Sheri and I quickly walked over too, because we know how our coach gets.

"Uh-uh. No way. You've been late to practice twice this week." She snapped.

"Coach, so have I." I said, and she looked at me, like she was saying shut up because I did not want to be dragged into this.

"Yes, but she also missed most of the first quarter, at least you showed up on time." She said to me, and Jessica sighed.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know I was going to be so late." She said, and then Coach looked at the both of us and shook our heads.

"Look, Jess. . Imogen, I don't know what the hell is going on with you two, but if you've got a problem, come to me and we'll work it out, but I'm sorry Jess. You're out of today's game." She said, and I shook my head.

"That's not fair. I should be out too. I was late to practice this week too." I said.

"Fine, then you're benched too." She snapped and walked away, as the first quarter ended, so we had to do part of a routine. Jess looked at me and I shrugged, because I didn't know what to say, and I rolled my eyes. Sheri put a hand on my shoulder before following the girls out, and then I caught Justin's eyes and he was looking concerned, but I just rolled my eyes and turned away.