Chapter 14

Just To Recap:

   "Jason, I don't know anything about you because you never told me." I said quietly.

    "You never asked." He replied, bleakly.

    While we were walking home through the bad part of town, I felt safe with the guy next to me. I trusted him and I wanted to know about him.

    "Jason, will you tell me about your past?"

~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 14

    "Nope." He chuckled.

   "Jason!" I slapped his shoulder and he laughed harder. "Come on!"

   "Sorry Princess."

   "Why?" I whined.

   He rolled his eyes but suddenly looked at me with a dark look. "Because I don't want to scare you." His words left me in chills and the darkness lingered in his eyes. He looked away from me and stared straight ahead. We were out of the bad neighborhoods and were now walking up the hill to the private community in which the house was in.

   "Why do you care if I'm scared?" I asked irritated. Why wouldn't he just tell me?

   My impatience grew when he dodged my question all together. "Why would I tell you about myself when you haven't told me anything about you?"

   He had me there.

   "Well, what do you want to know." I asked hesitant after a moment.

   "What the hell your dad did to you." He said obviously. That was exactly what I didn't want him to ask.

   There was no way in hell I was going to explain that to him. It just wasn't going to happen. I would probably have a mental breakdown if I even attempted telling him.

   It grew quiet between us for awhile.

   We walked side by side across the sidewalk toward the house. The sun was just about to set but the air was still warm. My bag swung back and forth while resting on my shoulder and I held my left arm with my right hand, my fingernails digging into my skin. I was trying hard to keep my mind from wandering to bad memories.

   Home was just a few houses away. I took quicker steps, the thought of being home was sounding better by the seconds. But suddenly Jason grabbed my arm and tugged me back. My eyes grew wide and I gasped when he pulled me behind a huge oak tree that was in one of the neighbor's front yard. My bag and his backpack fell to the ground when he pressed my back against the tree. He put of his hands on either side of my head. His brown eyes were determined.

   "It's killing me." He said blankly. I stared at him wide eyed.

   "What-"

   "Tell me." He begged, "Tell me what your dad did."

   I froze. My heart beat slammed against my chest and my head began to throb. My pressed my back deeper into the tree and my breathing quickened.

   When I didn't answer his patience ran out. "Is it because he isn't here?"

   Really? Did he just ask that?

   Well, I guess I couldn't blame him since I never told him anything but still. The only reason I was somewhat normal was because he wasn't here in my life. I shivered from the thought of him being in my life...

   "You know," Suddenly, his eyes went soft and his features calmed. His voice was like silk. "My dad wasn't around growing up either." We stared into each other's eyes for endless minutes. Silence surrounded us while the slight breeze played with our hair.