Chapter 21

I always liked being sneaky.

   The problem was I just wasn't very good at it.

   So why did Jason send me on a treasure hunt across the hall and into his hotel room to find him some clothes and do it all without waking anyone up, including my drunken mother?

   Honestly, I had no idea.

   But I was up for the challenge. Anything to make that boy talk about what ever he was keeping to himself.

   I unlocked Jason's hotel room while standing in the below freezing hallway in just a skimpy little robe. My bare feet were so numb against the cold ground that it had me jumping slightly. Once the stubborn door opened, I slipped inside of the dark room.

   I flipped on the lights and immediately began searching and rummaging through things.

   Even though I was supposed to be retrieving clean clothes for Jason to wear, I was also secretly trying to find out anything about his past because for some reason I already had a feeling that he wouldn't tell me very much tonight.

❀༻❀༻❀༻❀༻❀༻❀༻5 Minutes Later❀༻❀༻❀༻❀༻❀༻❀༻

   Absolutely nothing.

   Not any secret diary, not any blue prints, not even any top secret chamber that led to the Underworld.

   Seriously Jennifer? We're in a hotel room.....?  

   Oh, yeah...... right.

   Well, I didn't know what I was expecting to find but all my hopes and dreams that I had built in the last five minutes had been ultimately crushed.

   Geez, exaggeration much?

   I rolled my eyes. Stupid voices....

❀༻❀༻❀༻❀༻❀༻❀༻ ❀༻❀༻❀༻❀༻❀༻❀༻❀༻❀༻❀༻❀༻

   "I'm back." I said as I shut the door behind me.

   Jason was laying on the bed, his eyes watching me and a towel wrapped sloppily around his waist. I tried very hard to keep my eyes on his and not on his waist.

   I tossed the clothes to him and he carefully got up and went to the bathroom to change. After the shower he seemed a little stronger, but not by much.

   I sat at the edge of the bed waiting for him, thinking about what was about to happen. I watched outside of the window, eyeing the million dollar view. They city lights twinkled in the darkness and the heavy rain pounding against the hotel building drowned out the sound of my nervous heart beating.

   Jason returned wearing the sweatpants I had brought for him. Obviously he decided against wearing the shirt.

   He slowly laid down on the bed beside me and stared out the window, just as I did. We watched the rain.

   "We're going to be honest with each other, right?" I said in a quiet voice.

   He didn't answer which made me turn and glare at him. But he never saw it. He continued to stare out the window, watching the Oregon rain pour down onto the city.

   Eventually he did answer, "Okay."

   I sighed. There we go again with those short, lame, and absolutely useless answers.

   Wait— did he say 'okay'?

  Oh my god! Okay, calm down. This was my chance, possibly my only chance, to get honest answers out of Jason. It's everything and anything I ever wanted from Jason and now he was finally offering me that.