Chapter Five

Standing outside, sun in his face—he's glad he wears sunglasses. Everyone else is shading their eyes to see the teacher in front of them, the teacher who looks so done with life. Bro, me too. "We will be doing a quirk apprehension test." He explains the reason why they're not going to the ceremony, what they will be doing. His eyes scan the crowd before he throws the ball at Bakugou. "Bakugou, what was your throw in middle school?"

  "67 meters." Bakugou steps up and when he's told to use his quirk this time, he grins and preps to throw it. "Die!" he shouts when he releases it with an explosion to propel it.

  The beep of the machine sounds and Aizawa-sensei shows the results. 705.2 meters. A girl yells out saying it looks to be fun, earning a glare from the teacher. "Oh? It looks fun, you say? If you're only here to have a grand old' time for the next three years, what happened to being heroes?" When no one says anything, he continues, "Fine then, new rule, whoever places last will be judged as 'hopeless' and will be expelled."

  What? I can't do that! After all of the training and hard work I've done, I'm going to be expelled? I know it'll be me! All these other people have had their quirks for so long! I've just received One for All and I can't do anything other than that! There's my eyes, yes, but what am I going to do there? Midoriya takes a deep breath and goes through the motions. Many of his skills can't be used in many of the events. He did okay, but he's still behind everyone. He knows he's going to be expelled but he pushes through.

  Everything is fine, but the air shifts from warm to cold. A stench of death permits the air. This chills many people, causing them to grow worried and wary of the feeling of hopelessness. Aizawa-sensei frowns and looks around before his eyes land on Midoriya who seems to be unfazed. Some of his students are shuddering, hand pressed against their faces at the reeking stench. He watches the subtle turn of his head turn to the left, lowering his spectacles. No one seems to notice this, no one but him. He can see the boy's lips moving slightly. The air changes and it's back to normal. What the hell was that? He'll have to keep an eye on the boy. Didn't he use a scythe as his weapon during the exam? That may be nothing, a few people use weapons. But who uses a scythe?

  "Midoriya, you're up."

* * *

In the infirmary, Izuku is speaking with Recovery Girl. After the exam, he had to be taken for breaking his finger. As he expected, he came in last but fortunately, it was all a logical ruse that Aizawa-sensei came up with. Although, he found out that he is the underground hero, Eraserhead. The softball throw was one of the most nerve-racking moments in his life, mostly because prior to his turn, Death just had to show up. He had to tell him something but he told him that he's going to speak to him later—after school. When no one else is around. "Tea-cher wa-tching." Then he left. He got far in the throw but it wasn't enough and he ranked last.

  "Deku! What the hell was that you psycho?" Bakugou is mad and he's going to show that good for nothing idiot! Suddenly, he's stopped in his tracks by white bindings. Izuku owes one to Aizawa-sensei for helping him. If anything, he's just glad that he stopped him from damaging anything. Maybe the teachers here are better than at his middle school, but still, he wasn't entirely sure.

  Recovery Girl cuts his thought process off when she finishes scolding the green-haired teen about being more careful before she heals him. Once she does, he deflates a bit with his shoulders slumping down. Somehow, his energy is gone after she healed him. "Why do I feel so tired?" he questions, looking at her through the tinted glasses.

  "It's part of my quirk. I use your stamina to speed up your healing process." She gives him a smile and pats his hand. Her gaze is caught by the spectacles on the boy's face. That's odd. Why is he wearing them inside? This is the second time she's seen him wear them. Apparently, from Toshinori, he is always seen wearing them. "My boy, why do you wear those sunglasses? I've seen you wear them all the time and don't lie to me, young man. You can't lie to me, I know a liar when I see one." She watches him mumble under his breath and gives a small whack to his knee. "Speak up."