Chapter Eighteen

Toshinori never once felt so much terror as he did when he got the call from Gran Torino. At first he was sure that the small elderly hero, who can still kick his butt, was just going to upbraid him for his poor teaching skills or even tell him that Young Midoriya has broken his bones using One For All and again scold him for it. No, he never thought that his teacher was going to call and tell him his successor fought against the Hero Killer and had a punctured lung from a broken rib and was in surgery. Just who even thinks that their old teacher would call them for that? His heart stopped beating, his one lung lost all the oxygen in it. He thinks he died for a moment. "He did what?" he whispers horrified. Yes, he knew the kid had been given permission to fight Stain but he didn't think that he would actually do it! Oh, who was he kidding, it's Midoriya. He'd fight Satan and God (probably fight any other gods that get in his way) if it meant to protect someone. That kid sure as hell will be the death of him. "Yes, I heard. I just—he's in surgery? What happened and why was he fighting Stain? You—you were looking after him."

"This kid is going to be the death of me. I swear." You and me both, Gran. "I've alerted his mother and she wasn't happy either. If you are going to upbraid anyone, do so to your student. He's a trouble magnet." He takes a breath as he regains his train of thought. "Okay, I told him clear as day to stay on the train. I had no clue that he was allowed to battle against Stain until heading over to the scene. That kid never told me. The two boys that were with him said he got kicked multiple times by Stain so that must've been what happened to break and bruise his ribs. It probably worsened when that creature—I think they said it was called a 'Nomu'?—grabbed him and Stain killed it thus saving the kid. He fell roughly so that might've been what caused the puncture wound."

Yagi is sure as hell that he'll be getting gray hairs before it's time. That kid. He swears. No wonder Aizawa calls him Problem Child. He sighs softly, rubbing his chest. "Have you gotten any updates on his condition or is he still in surgery?"

"Still in surgery. When he's awake, I'll message you. Don't worry too much. He's in good hands. Goodbye, Toshinori."

They hang up at that moment and Toshinori is left with his thoughts once again. His mind never straying from his successor—the boy he picked up after a car almost hit a child. The boy who didn't think but acted to save someone who he didn't know. Toshinori is really going to need to keep a better eye on the kid. Chiyo is right, that kid has no self preservation and it's scary that someone his age doesn't. He should've seen it, should've said something to him when he gave him One For All. He saw the way he would overwork himself with training, school, that murder case which sends Toshinori reeling at the mere thought of it.

  Izuku is a kid, he shouldn't be at crime scenes much less see bodies like that. He, himself, has seen his fair share of mangled bodies, bloodied and unidentifiable. The first time he'd seen one, he almost threw up. To see his protégé poke around, stare at one, and read the signs it had, it's terrifying. Sickening that he can stare at one and not even flinch. To say that he's been doing that since he's twelve maybe even younger, he can't help but find it horrifying. How can this boy even act like seeing the dead isn't a huge deal? Why has anyone even let a kid near such heinous scenes? He spoke to Naomasa and he wasn't happy with the things he learned from his friend. The boy's mental health is worrisome, which is why he speaks to him about it at any chance he can get, make sure he's doing well and getting anything out of his system. It's difficult, he doesn't speak much but little by little. He doesn't want him to feel too pressured.

  Toshinori shakes his head, looking at the papers he had been shuffling through. He coughs, blood spraying into his hand. He stands and moves over to the window. The stars that speckle the dark night—forming patterns that can lead one to their destination if they could look close enough and correctly read them—are difficult to be seen with the lights that light up the city. Where at one point the place had been silent, it's now boisterous and full of people and cars. The noise of it all is loud and annoying, unless one is used to it. He looks out to watch the people while wondering about the kid. You're too young and I have shoved something onto you without knowing of the burdens you already face. I want to help, but you push me away and I'm sorry, Young Midoriya. I have a lot of things I need to tell you, especially the origin of One For All . . . and about me. He places his hand over his wound, the one thing he never told Midoriya about. The one thing, he has to tell him about—that's more important the All For One.