Chapter Nineteen

Okay, so Izuku's eyes paling in color is important. Of course, it's not really pale, about 25% lighter than his original color. But anyway, yeah, some out of character for a few characters will happen in this chapter and maybe a little further down the line. People want me to have Izuku tell All Might, and he will tell him—not on purpose and not in the best of ways (he doesn't explain it either making everything worse)—and I am not sorry how that turns out in the next chapter.

Todoroki never understands why something that happens happens. Why someone dies when they're young, or why someone goes through hell for something they never did. He just never understood it, especially in his case. He glances over to Iida and ponders this question. If things happen for a reason, then what is that reason? What reason is there for a child to go through pain? What reason is there for someone to do something so stupid it can get someone else killed? Just what was the reason? Why can't anyone even answer this for him? Shouto lets out a deep sigh as he waits for his friend to get ready. He will be staying there that night with Midoriya, but they need to get this over with. They need answers now, and they are going to get them without prodding too much or by forcing Izuku to tell them. And while waiting for Iida, Shouto is delving into deep thoughts that he does not even know where they came from.

Just before they get up, the door opens and in comes a frantic Midoriya Izuku. "I am not here. Do not say a word about me." He then makes his way into the bathroom, closing the door quietly and locking it. Before they can even do anything, two nurses come in and ask if they have seen Midoriya since he sneaked out of his room. Shouto lies for the two of them, knowing that Iida won't be able to. Once they're gone, Todoroki tells Midoriya that the coast is clear. He doesn't understand what goes on in that head of his small friend; he doesn't want to, he might not understand most of what ever is being thought of. The dual-elemental-quirk user watches as Midoriya slowly makes his way out of the bathroom and walks over to sit down beside Iida. "I'm sorry for doing that, guys, but they're trying to force me to take pain medicine. I don't feel any pain. I don't need any medicine, so I ran. Not a good idea but I just cannot be in that room anymore."

"It's okay. We were planning on heading over to see how you are doing," speaks Iida. He glances down at his small friend—has he always been that small? Shouto might have never noticed the height difference before. Now, as he sits beside Iida, he can just see how small he is between the three of them. Their eyes meet and in this lighting and him not being tired, he notices the pallid complexion and the pale eyes. It's as if when he died, his complexion stayed that of a corpse. That kind of worries both of them and hope that the effects won't be irreversible. That his complexion will go back to looking healthier. "But we also need an explanation for what happened last night, Midoriya. Surely, you've known this was coming, yes?"

"Yes. That is also another reason why I came. I have to explain it to you and I really don't know how." He sighs, rubbing his hands together as he glances between Iida and Todoroki before his eyes land on the floor. "Well, first things first. The way I found you, Iida, I had Yaoyorozu make me a tracer and put it on you. Of course, the doctors or nurses must've found it, yes?" A nod. "Okay, I used it to track you, of course. Well, now, me dying but not really." He rubs his wrist and sighs, looking up at the two and seeing them patiently waiting for him to explain. "I don't know how to really even explain, but one day, my wrist starts burning out of nowhere and then I find a marking, a boney hand with three fingers up. I met this person and they told me. I will have three chances. Three chances to basically cheat Death. Any time I came close to dying or if I died, I will be brought back. At first, I didn't think they were even serious but I also couldn't really say anything. I just nodded and left." Midoriya runs a hand through his hair, looking at Iida and Todoroki. He really doesn't like lying, but this is for the best. He can't let them know about him being Death's Champion. Three people already know and that is enough.