Chapter 20

Our next mission was to safely transport a woman to her destination across the country. The woman in particular was Akita Sumera-a "well renowned" psychologist. What she was well renowned for was her technique of combining the knowledge of ninja arts/techniques with medicine or food pills she'd create to help people when it seemed there was no hope for what ailed them; whether it was mental or emotional.

Akita really was a nice woman and everyone loved her like she was their own mother-Naruto, Sakura and Kakashi...but me...I just couldn't get rid of this feeling like she was analyzing my every move. But the question I couldn't answer is-was she really 'observing' me, or was I just paranoid because I fit too well in the category of the emotionally damaged clientele she usually handles.

"What's going on here?" Naruto gaped, turning in circles watching all the people quickly hurrying by. They carried an array of items from boxes brimming with colorful decorations to a team of people with large crates.

We were only half way into our journey and the sun was starting to set, so we just decided to find a place to stay in the next town we came across.

When Naruto asked that, I finally looked around and took in my surroundings for the first time since we'd arrived. I had gotten so caught up in my head worrying about how I acted around Akita that I had gone on auto pilot while walking. My eyes widened, recognizing exactly where we were. "What's today again?" I asked anyone to confirm my thoughts.

"July 5th" Sakura answered

"Which makes tomorrow the first weekend of July" I commented aloud to no one in particular.

"Yeah... something special about that?" Naruto drawed out when I didn't respond.

"We're in Āto (translates to art in English), and every year they host a weekend long Āto Festival the first weekend of July." I explained. I had so many fond memories at this festival that I should have been smiling, but it just created a pain in my heart as it just made me think of how much I missed my parents.

"I take it you've been to the festival before" And there Akito was, instantly taking notice of me. She noticed the forlorn look on my face and stepped up behind me as she spoke. Her intention was to lay a comforting hand on my shoulder, but my nature took over and I flinched away from her touch. I cursed at myself, I had tried so hard not to act that way in front of her scrutinous gaze. "I'm sorry, did I do something wrong?"

"N-"

"Keiko does NOT like to be touched." Naruto butted in before I could recover the situation, "Be lucky she didn't body slam you for that" he added in with a chuckle thinking he was funny. I glared at him in annoyance while Akita glanced his way.

"Is that true?" She turned her curious, speculative gaze back to me and I quickly pretended I hadn't just been trying to burn holes in Naruto's skull.

All I managed was a shrug of the shoulders and an 'eh' expression. Had I made it clear yet that I did not like her attention?

"Why is that?" And here comes the psychologist in her. Her head tilted to the side, as if she was just innocently curious and nothing more.

I just wanted to shrink up into myself and disappear. Now Akita and my teammates were watching me, waiting for my answer. "Just... because that's how I am, okay?" I finally answered with a bit of frustration. All the eyes on me made me uncomfortable. Before anyone could continue to question, I resumed walking and went ahead of them in the direction of the lodge.

*-*-*Time Skip-*-*-*
*-*-*-Sitting down to dinner after check-in-*-*-*

"Have you been to the to festival before?" Sakura asked, glancing at me from over her menu.