Chapter 41

Kaori skipped with excitement, Kenta prancing like a horse beside her as we walked down the street.

It had taken a lot of hard work, concentration and help from momma this last week as she did her darndest to get 'in-sync' with her puppy. And it was starting to pay off. The way the two walked now, it was like they were sharing the same emotion that put the pep in their step.

I kept a few steps back, watching them while I carried the napkin wrapped bento box on our way to the Hokage's office.

Kaori stopped at his office door and knocked, just like she'd been taught is the proper etiquette. But not being able to effect what she can't hear, she instantly opened the door before Kakashi even had time to respond.

Kakashi jumped, thinking he'd just been caught taking a little break with the newest edition of Make Out Paradise by Shikamaru.

I just laughed lightly at him. "Your secret is safe with me" I teased. As I closed the door behind me.

With the shutters drawn, trying to cool the office with shade on this hot summer day, he pulled down his mask to reveal a smile. "Who do I owe this surprise to?" He asked

"Kaori" I answered as she excitedly pointed to herself in her own response. "since we were on our way to Naruto's anyway, she wanted to make sure we stopped so she could show you her progress. She's been too excited to wait to show you." I explained.

"You have something to show me?" He closed his book and tucked it away in a drawer "My attention is all yours"

Kaori went over to his desk, pushing one of his notepads and pens within his reach. "Write down dig tricks. Any trick. Any order." She requested.

Kakashi glanced at me as he picked up the pen Kaori pushed his way. "She wants your random list to prove they aren't just doing a rehearsed act." I explained again. She had made the same request from me before demanding to come here.

Kakashi wrote a simple list of 4 tricks in random order-sit, roll over, bark, paw-then passed the note to Kaori. It took her a couple minutes, still getting used to reading; but she didn't ask for help so we let her work through it.

Kaori knelt to Kenta's height and stared into his puppy blue eyes. After a moment of silence, Kenta sat down. Without a word spoken between the two, he rolled over on the floor. His tongue flopped out of his mouth as he rolled, making Kaori laugh at how silly it looked. Maybe I had been part of the training too long, because when Kenta finished his roll with a sneeze, it almost sounded like he laughed along with her.

Kenta hopped back up-a little clumsily since he was still getting used to his big puppy paws-and let out a bark. Bark complete, he walked around the desk, giving Kakashi his paw.

Kakashi shook his paw, then turned to Kaori with a look of appreciation for all her hard work. Her progress was certainly further along and much faster than we expected.

"That was perfect! You are doing such a great job." He cheered her on, making her smile happily that her daddy was proud.

Kenta pranced back over to Kaori and the two forgot about us for a moment, having fun continuing to mirror each other.

I shimmied over to his desk, sitting the bento box down on it and leaning against the side of his chair.

"What's that?" He asked, looking up at me.

"Just lunch, in case you're too busy when you get hungry."

He smiled, "I would probably starve without you."