Chapter 30

Kakazu dropped Choji and Ino to defend himself against Shikamaru's oncoming kunai attack. Clouds of smoke covered the sky as his fire style jutsu boiled the puddles of water around his feet.

Kakashi and Shikamaru ran into the smoke, scooping up Choji and Ino while they were still hidden in its cloak. They fell back a distance from the foes before them, needing a moment to regroup.

"That was pitiful. What happened there buddy?" Hidan teased Kakazu.

"You should talk. I wasn't the one that fell for a shadow clone." He grumbled.

"Oh, right." Hidan chuckled as he scratched the back of his head nervously, "you saw that?"

"Shikamaru, what now?" Kakashi asked as the two surveyed Hidan and Kakazu who watched them in the distance.

The two were thoroughly beaten and bruised, but they weren't anywhere near done with the fight. Not as long as they could stand.

"First thing we do is get them on their own. We have got to tackle them individually."

"Agreed"

"Once their combo attacks are off the table, we can focus on destroying the big guy's last four hearts." Shikamaru continued to explain.

"Okay then, but for that to happen, one of us will have to stall Hidan." Kakashi added in.

"I'll take care of it." Ino jumped up from the ground with determination. "Listen, out of the four of us I've got the most chakra left. And besides, I'm no good in a straight up fight anyway. With mind transfer jutsu-"

"Forget it. It's too dangerous. Your mind transfer should always follow after my shadow possession. If you miss, your mind can't get back to your body for a few minutes. It's too risky...besides...I've already got a plan just for distracting Hidan."

Kakashi looked over at Shikamaru curiously as he pulled a scroll out of his vest pocket. A plan just for distracting Hidan? How many scenarios had he planned ahead?

Shikamaru opened the scroll and threw it on the ground. Shikamaru bit his thumb before letting the blood drip onto the scroll as he shouted "Summoning jutsu!" Shikamaru sucked on his thumb, making sure not to let anymore blood get the chance of dripping out.

I was starting to grow inpatient just waiting at home on the couch. I had removed the contraption around my leg so I could freely move. I was ready in my ninja gear, the pouch on my arm overloaded with shuriken and kunai I was itching to unload on Hidan. With my new outfit, I now had one of each of my blades strapped into a harness on my hips. They no longer hung across my back in the sheath.

Suddenly the living room disappeared in a cloud of smoke, and I knew this was finally my moment. I didn't know what I'd be summoned into, so I stood my ground defensively with a kunai grasped tightly in my hand.

I appeared next to a tree that was surprisingly still standing compared to everything else around me. I was facing Shikamaru, and the sharp inhale that followed my appearance let me know Kakashi was right beside me.

"I'm ready. Is there anything you need me to do?"

"Your plan of distraction is Keiko?!" Kakashi whisper/yelled at Shikamaru, not wanting the enemy to hear them argue.

Ignoring Kakashi's clear disapproval, he just answered me. "I need him distracted long enough to get him with possession. I've used it once on him already, so he'll know it's coming if I'm facing him alone." Then he finally looked at Kakashi who was trying to stay calm "Once I have him, I'll head off with him and Keiko's part will be done. Simple as that."