Chapter 44

It was another beautiful morning in Konoha. My days seemed to be filled with all beautiful mornings since I married the most wonderful man that had been hiding all along in the Hidden Leaf.

Birds were chirping merrily out the window. Just the thought that now Kaori could also hear their song started my day off with a smile.

I kept myself moving, hopping back and forth between breakfast on the stove and cleaning the dishes I put in the sink as I went. I reached into the soapy water to grab the bowl that had sunk to the bottom. I pulled my hand back up just in time to feel the slide of my ring on my wet slick finger.

I forgot how easily my wedding ring tries to slip off when I'm cleaning the dishes-or even when my hands are just cold. It's like my finger shrinks in the cold air and it just doesn't want to stay on. I slipped it off myself before it could come off on its own and sat it on the counter.

The skillet sizzled and popped and I dried my hands off before retreating back to the stove. As I flipped the beef, a pair of arms wrapped around my waist.

"Do we have company joining us for breakfast?" Kakashi chuckled, eying the stove full of pans which were filled with food.

"No," I bit my lip looking over everything I had cooking, "I over did it, didn't I?"

"Not at All," Kakashi chuckled, "nervous?"

"Nervous? Why wou I be nervous?" I quickly rambled. Kakashi grabbed my hand before I could crack the egg I picked up. We only already had like a dozen cooking. "Heh heh, thanks."

"Keiko, everything is going to be fine today. The only thing you should be feeling today is excitement. It's the surrogate who hopes we choose her to pay crazy money to that should be nervous." I turned around to Kakashi, catching a glimpse of the sweat drop from thinking about all the money before it disappeared when he saw me looking. "And every penny is worth it" he added and gave me a kiss on the cheek.

"I love you too" I replied and reached up to kiss his cheek. He turned his head and caught my lips. "Mmm, I love those lips." I sighed into the kiss.

Kakashi wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me into him. "Since I can't be with you today to meet them, how about I take you to dinner tonight so you can tell me all about them. I've already talked to Mrs. Tsunere and she will drop Kaori off to Sakura's house in the evening to spend the night."

"But I'm dropping Kaori off in just a couple hours, and she's spending the night with Sakura?" I repeated in disbelief.

"Oooh, an entire day off to relax and celebrate with your husband. Whatever will you do with yourself." He chuckled jokingly.

"That's actually what I was just wondering."

Kakashi kissed me again, "I'm sure you'll manage" he chuckled. He reached behind me, snatching a piece of beef off the stove. He leaned back and popped it in his mouth as he leaned back from me. "Delicious" he hummed.

"Thank you"

"I'm hoping 6 for dinner. I'll come home to pick you up first in case I'm late out of the office." Kakashi gave me another kiss before heading out the door to the office, with his lunch in one hand-which consisted of a lot of the breakfast o just made- and his breakfast wrapped up in a sandwich to-go in the other.

The front door closed and a clatter erupted in the kitchen. Startled, I looked over to find Kenta had taken this opportunity with me away from the stove. He may be a puppy, but he was still a great Dane. He was growing fast and was now just big enough to reach the countertop. He swiped one of the pans of food across the counter, to the ground and was now gobbling it up.