Chapter 3 - The God of Death

Good now I am the god of death, my mother is the dragon goddess of death, I'm adopted and dead. What the hell.

After I take a few seconds to calm down from the meteor that just got dropped on me, I decide to ask what is going to happen.

"So... what now?" I ask.

"Oh you're going to be sent to the mortal world again and this time you'll be the god of death. You see, every god of death has to experience a certain amount of time as a mortal in the world, then they gain their power and go to the human world for a millennia or so, and once that happens you are considered the new god of death. This is so that the mortals learn your name and recognize you. After that I'll become one of the forgotten gods and finally retire." She explains

"So the only reason I'm alive is just to replace you?"

"No! Gods no! It's just that my time is up, and if there's no god of death then the world will be in chaos because the god of life has to retire and become the god of death which means a new god of life is needed and you'll also be captured in the afterlife and tortured to the point of wanting to die again multiple times. I don't want you to be tortured so you need to become the god of death."

"I see... in other words I need to do this or I'll experience extreme amounts of pain. I don't really have a choice." I sigh as I realize how boring my life will be with eternal life.

"Oh, I just remembered, will I also have horns and be a dragon and all that?" I ask.

"Yep, but you won't have a tail, also your new life won't be boring believe me. Hihihi" She laughs as she tries to assure me that I'll like my new life. Wait she has a tail?

"Well it's time for you to become death, have fun and don't get killed too easily. After all, there are still forbidden and cursed artifacts that can kill gods." She waves with a smile as she fires a dark beam into my head.

Once the dark magic dissipates my vision disappears and I lose consciousness again.

When I came to I was in the battlefield again, except this time the only things here are grasses and small trees. Where are all the soldiers, wasnt there a war going on? What happened? This is weird.

I should head home, how much time has passed since I died? Land doesn't grow from a wasteland to a field overnight.

Wait, what if I don't have a home to go back to?

If it's been too long then my family won't be alive anymore. I wonder how they'll react if I just show up all of a sudden. Especially after they were most likely told I died by...

"Gena..." I just remembered that she tried to protect me. How could I forget.

"What was she trying to tell me?" I remember she tried to tell me something but I couldnt hear her... I can't believe she's dead.

Wait, if I'm the new god of death, can't I bring her back!

"Alright, lets bring her back!" I lift my hand in front of me but I remember I can't even use magic. I had no talent for it, so I never bothered to learn how to use it.

"DAMMIT!" I just had to be ignorant! I can't even use magic as a death god.

"AGH!"

As I think about these words I start to feel a severe headache.

Once it goes away I realize what happened. The black beam of magic that Modra sent at me was information of my new powers as the god of death. It seems that to bring someone back to life the body is necessary but if it has been destroyed then resurrection is impossible unless there is a very similar body and the soul is nearby. If the soul has already passed on then this process is impossible. At least that would be the case for necromancers. As the god of death, souls move on to my domain and I can easily bring them back. As long as the body is still available.

Of course there is one other way to bring people back and that is to bring their bodies back without souls, this is how undead are created, however if you try to resurrect someone this way all you will have is a mindless, moving dead body.

This is not the method I want to use for Gena.

I couldn't help but sigh, "So even though I'm a god, unless I have her body with me, she can't come back."

There's no way for me to bring her back after that spell. It most likely destroyed her body. It would be a miracle if I could find even a part of her.

"However..." I started grinning like a madman as I realized something.

"If I can make the god of creation, the god of life create her body again..."

Although it's possible that this plan may work, it could easily be stopped if that god won't cooperate.

"As if that's gonna stop me!" I'll bring her back even if I'm killed again. Even if that's impossible, I'll do it. Even if it takes two thousand years or even a million, I'll bring her back, and I'll hear what she wanted to tell me. Even if I have to force that god or even bring them close to death in order to get her back.

"However, right now I need to get home and find out how much time has passed." As I start walking back to my little town I think about everything that has happened, first Gena and I die, I meet my mother who is a dragon goddess and find out I'm the next half (?) dragon god of death. Which reminds me I need to find a way to see my self to see if I have dragon features now. If I do then I need to hide them so that I'm not attacked back in Vessaga.

I place my hand on top of my head and to tell any possible horns and quickly feel them resting there. They're very smooth and have a slight curve pointing backwards. When I place my hands on my back everything feels normal but the area around my shoulder blades feel more sensitive so there's a possibility I may have wings.

"Seems like she wasn't lying, I really am a dragon... half, maybe? Was my father human? I don't have a tail so it's possible... WAIT A SECOND! WHY DID MY MOTHER LOOK LIKE A HUMAN BUT WITH DRAGON FEATURES? SHOULDNT SHE LOOK LIKE A LARGE LIZARD MONSTER?" I've never met a dragon so I didn't know if they actually looked like humans or which their real form was. If I ever meet a dragon again I need to ask them.

Putting dragons and their tails aside, I need to hide my horns quickly and then see if I can pass security into the city.

I find the nearest road leading back and start walking down it.