Chapter 5 - Information

"Have you calmed down yet?" I ask the family before we get started.

"Yes, please forgive us for our previous actions." Lora says as she sits down at the table.

"Already forgiven, now I need to know what year is this?" I ask.

Lora seems surprised by my question but quickly recovers.

"It is the twenty-first day of the third month of spring, the year is two-hundred fifty-first."

So only five years since the battle.

"Is there currently a war happening between the Vessaga and Descon kingdom?"

"No, that war ended three years ago. After the loss at the battle five years ago on the Descon kingdom there was a peace treaty to end the war." She explained.

"I see..." I muttered.

So the war ended and the deaths of our people were all for nothing.

"Was there any territory change between the kingdoms? Did they gain or lose land during these years?"

"No, everything remained the same...but..." It seems that something happened, but I can guess what it was.

"But now there's a financial problem isn't there?" I guess.

"Yes, currently with all the deaths from the war and all the damage caused to the land, it's taking most of the kingdoms money to fix everything, and in order to get more money people are being taxed even more now. Which then makes more slaves due to unpaid taxes, which then have to work to repair everything."

So in general, anyone who can't pay the higher taxes is then a slave. This is worse than I thought, at this rate more than half the population will be slaves.

After that I asked some more questions about the differences since the war but everything seemed the same as before.

"Okay, for my last request, could you spare some clothes for me to wear?" I ask her, hoping she would have some.

"Of course, in fact I happen to be a tailor and I would be more than happy to give you some clothing I made." She answers happily.

"Yes, that would be appreciated, but do you have anything that can hide ones identity?" I ask, if people that didn't know about my identity saw them, or if someone I know saw me with them, I'm sure that would be a topic that would require some time to settle.

"Yes, I have a black cloak that you could wear, I also have some clothes you could wear under it." She responds as she leads me to a closet.

Inside I can see some long sleeved and short sleeved cloth shirts, and some even have a small amount of magic energy coming off them. There seem to be some pants made of cloth while others are made of leather. I quickly pick one of the short sleeved black shirts and some leather pants. I decided that I'd leave the magical ones since I wouldn't need it.

When I asked her how much the clothes were she nervously said that I could just have them.

While I was changing I noticed that the sword wound wasn't there, instead a large scar was on my chest. I could only imagine that it was from when I died. It took too large of an area to be from the sword. I decided to ask Lora if there was a mirror I could use. When she led me to a large mirror I noticed that the scar also appeared on my back, and my shoulder blades were sticking out more.

"Great, I'm growing wings now." This is gonna be a pain to hide from others. Although it might come in handy at some point.

Once I got dressed I thanked the family for the hospitality that they showed me and made my way back to the kingdom.

I saw them sigh in relief as I left, it was pretty obvious that they feared me since they found out who I was. However, Gerol was thanking me since I brought him back, I could only imagine it would have been worse if I didn't give him life again.

After four more days I discovered that I have more powers than just about death. One was that I can become invisible in darkness and since it is a natural ability, it doesn't require magic. In other words, unless someone can sense my presence, anyone who tries to detect my magic being used won't notice me. Also my wings have finished growing out and can be used to fly. I'm still not used to using them so I started out falling from the sky every time I tried to get in the air. However I can now fly for a small amount of time and I was able to reach Vessaga faster.

And lastly I discovered that now that I'm immortal I don't require food or sleep. Although I can still feel hunger and fatigue, I won't die from being deprived of these necessities.

Now that I'm about to enter the Vessaga kingdom I have two options, either I ask the guards to enter. Although it would cause some trouble if they order me to reveal my face. They won't know that I'm supposed to be dead, but if they see my horns and I try to enter the kingdom then they'll have to look into my background to let me in. If that happens then they'll know something is wrong since all they'll find is that I shouldn't have horns and I should be dead.

Or, I try to sneak in to the kingdom now that I have more powers. My choice should have been very obvious...

I walked to the guards.

Before they notice me I jump to the shadows and instantly become invisible. I sneak past them but just before I head inside a thought popped up in my head.

I walk behind the guards and take a look inside the bags they had. I noticed that one of them was a member of a noble family, the Gefi family. Back when Lora explained the issues in the kingdom she said that the Gefi family was one of the nobles that raised the taxes of their land to the point that almost any common citizen would not be able to pay.

Now that I know this man is from that infamous family...

I swiftly grab the pouch of coins that he had.

I can take his money and still have a good conscious.

When I check how much he had I saw five gold coins, fifteen silver coins, and five copper coins.

As expected of a noble, keeps gold coins on him at all times.

I then make my way down the road while I let the guard panic.