Chapter 34 - Ring of Hope

Dessyr P.O.V.

"Fiora stay with me! Please don't leave me!" I was begging Fiora as she looks at me with cold red eyes. Devoid of life like a corpse during a murder.

"I'm sorry Des, my time has come."

"No... please don't do this." No please. Anything but this...

"There's nothing you can do you know. It's your fault this happened to me. Maybe if you had stopped thinking you were the strongest one around, I would still be alive." She turns around and walks away from me.

I fell to the ground after hearing what she said. With my eyes becoming blurry from the tears that flowed out, I stared into the distance. The sound of footsteps becoming lighter and lighter like the sound of water droplets falling down and splashing from the top of a house in even intervals. Slowly disappearing and becoming softer.

"It's all my fault... because of me, Fiora died... there's nothing I can do about it... even bringing her back to life... is impossible."

"Maybe... if you had been cautious of everything around you, like you used to be, I might still be with you."

When I heard her voice I looked up to see her red eyes warm up like a soft flame. But it quickly disappeared like an illusion had been lifted from my view. And, slowly, she started heading into the dark abyss that appeared before us.

"No! Please don't!" I tried to reach out and run after her but my legs stayed still, reminding me of when I couldn't move. Like a pile of dust being blown away by the wind, scattering into the air, Fiora disappeared.

I was left there to weep for hours, with nothing but darkness surrounding me, making me shiver from the cold, but I still didn't move. Like I was being frozen in the peak of a mountain, my body started to gather up ice to make me seem like I was frozen to death. But I didn't have the pleasure of dying in my life. I would forever live with the sorrow gathered from the people I love dying, the people I kill, and the endless time that follows.

Humans aren't made to live forever, we are given such a short life because human minds can't withstand the emotions that pile up over time. But, I'm not human am I. I'm forced to live forever as a god, forced to trek the world as a dragon, and forced to enjoy the pleasures of life as a demon. No such thing as death will ever end my life, since after death, what awaits is the afterlife. Something that although everyone should experience, some of us will never be rewarded as such. Like Fiora... who will never get an after life, or a second chance.

Slowly, I felt a smooth and solid material under me. I looked down to see that my legs up to my waist have become ice. And not being able to change my fate, it rose up my body until it reached my neck.

In this room filled with silence and darkness, I finally found some type of release... or that's what I thought. But it never ended. The ice that had transformed my body, stopped at my neck, never ending my life yet taking all feeling in my body away.

Eternal imprisonment huh? In ice... this is it.

How long has it been since I was trapped in here? Forced to experience the sorrow in my past life. I don't know... it has been so long. Maybe a week? A year? A millennia?

Suddenly, the scene around me changed, and a bright light opened up in the darkness, melting away the ice and bringing my body back.

"Ahhh!" I shot up from my sleeping position and I could feel the sweat dripping down my back while my heart was beating quickly. My breathing was rough while I started to regain my rationality again.