Chapter 14 - Lightened Burdens

"I'll tell you who I am, but let's find a more secure area." I tell her as I drag her far away from where we were.

She follows behind me and after a few minutes starts to pull on my arm.

"Over there, there's an inn." She points at an inn nearby.

"Alright lets go in."

We head to the inn and walk to the reception desk.

After some time arguing we ended up getting one room with two beds. I wanted separate rooms but she wanted to hear my secret quickly.

After getting our keys, and ignoring the receptionist commenting on the single room,we started heading to it.

Once we settle down and take off our cloaks, I sit down on a bed and face Fiora, who is sitting on the other bed facing me.

Soon Tiny woke up and started licking my left cheek. It was a soft sensation and I chuckled a little bit. I could tell he was trying to lighten the mood.

"Alright, so tell me." Fiora said as Tiny stopped licking me and settled back down.

"Right down to business huh. Alright here I go." I take out my dark moon necklace and show it to her just to show my connection.

"My name is Dessyr Drako Modra Zero." I decided to change my name slightly. My adoptive parents always told me my name might have to change, but I didn't expect it to be this way, they must have known all along who I would become. While Dessyr was my given name, Drako was the surname they told me to use for a name change. Modra was a personal addition I made. And Zero was my original last name.

"I was raised by a small and poor family in the kingdom of Vessaga. I joined the war as a soldier five years ago and died when a sudden enemy mage used a high ranked fire spell to repel our army. After I died I met Modra, the Dragon Goddess of Death and Darkness... my mother." I paused to let all this sink in.

Fiora was extremely shocked, she could tell when I was lying or not so she knew I was telling the truth. After a few seconds I continued.

"She told me that I would become the next God of Death. Although she was a dragon goddess, my father was a mortal, I don't know if he was human or something else but I know this much. I'm not a full dragon, I'm a half dragon, thus I don't have a tail. Afterwards I woke up several weeks ago. And made my way to the human kingdom my former home. I snuck past the guards using my new abilities and then met you. The reason why I didn't die when I got stabbed was not from my magic. I'm immortal, I can't die. The aura that you meant might be connected to me being a god or half dragon, I don't know which." I ended my summary of everything that happened and Fiora was trying to take it all in. She knew I wasn't lying which made it harder for her to believe.

After being quiet for several minutes she finally spoke up.

"So that's why you were so secretive. I'm sorry for forcing you to admit everything." Now I was the surprised one, she was apologizing for making me stop lying, not only that but from her calmed down expression she was accepting this very easily.

"You don't have to apologize, I'm sorry for lying to you." I apologized.

"Hey please don't start acting formally or alologizing constantly just because I'm a god. I feel weird when people look up and treat me with a lot of respect. After all I used to be poor, people normally looked down on me." I say as I smile faintly. I was worried that she would start treating me differently.

"Really?" She tilts her head and her ears move along with her.

"Please treat me the same way as before." I was basically begging her at this point.

"Alright, I won't start acting differently Des." She smiled as she looked at me.

I started smiling back but then I saw her face turning red. Is she ok? Oh well, I shouldn't worry about that now. If I remember right, there should be free food here again.

But before that.

"Hey Fiora,"

"Yes Des? What's up?" She tilts her head.

"Please don't tell anyone about me. I want to keep it a secret for now." I look back at her.

"Don't worry! I won't tell anyone." She says while standing up quickly.

"Thanks." I smile and get off my bed. "But I have one question. Why aren't you scared of me? I'm the god of death." I ask her.

She was surprised at first but then she looked at me with an expression like she just realized something.

"Oh, I have a bunch of reasons. I guess first is because black wolves worship many gods, one being Modra, the goddess of death. So if she just passed her title to you then it means you're like our god now. Second is because I've been with you for a while now. I'm not scared of you because you are helping me and you also trust me since you told me everything. My other reason you'll find out soon enough. So all in all I can't be scared of you." She says while getting closer to me.

I smile awkwardly and step backwards.

"Alright, well... lets eat, I'm hungry." I say while waking up Tiny and putting on my cloak.

"Please don't kill the waiter this time though." Fiora said while smiling wryly and following me out the room.

Good, that went well. I was nervous at first but I'm glad it turned out the way it did. And what is that reason she mentioned?