Chapter 32 - Overconfident

"Senns, if you were an assassin, when would you attack your target?" We've been in this place for a couple days and the closest I've come to assassinations were the angels and that one god.

"I don't know. I'm more of a full on battle type of person. I like to see people die slowly, assassins kill too quickly for my taste." Wow, thank you Senns, you're the best.

"Fiora?"

"Probably when we show weakness. Now that you beat the SSS guy they'll send someone more experienced to kill us." Oops. My bad.

"Well, how do we show weakness? Sleep? Eat? Walk?Eat? Play?...Eat?" I could go for some food right now.

"Torture?"

"No, just follow me." We listen to Fiora and follow behind her until we reach a dark alley.

"What's up with all the dark alleys? I've been in, like, three this past week." While I speak out my thoughts, I start losing sight of the edges of my body. Ooh yeah. Invisibility in shadows.

I look forward and see Fiora walking slower than normal. Her steps became heavier and she stumbled every now and then.

"Hey!" Just before she fell to the ground I caught a hold of her and lifted her up.

"What's wrong?" Her breathing slowed down and she was losing her conciousness.

"Des... get ready..." With those three light words, she lost to drowsiness and fell asleep in my arms.

I knew instantly what was happening. The same spell I use to put others to sleep was being used. Or something similar.

Alright. I look behind me but Senns wasn't standing there. Instead she lay on the ground sleeping with a smile on her face with her halberd in her arms like some sort of hug pillow.

Seriously!? How the hell did you fall asleep!?

Great, Tiny?

I look down but Tiny is asleep as well.

Well... he's always sleeping. So it's not weird.

While I was paying attention to everyone I feel a slight bump on my side.

"The hell?" I heard a voice next to me. I turn to look at it and notice a person dressed all over like an assassin stabbing me with an iron dagger. My cloak which was inside my coat blocked it but now it's tattered.

Come on! I just bought these!

"Ha." I swing my fist towards his face and punch him into the wall. His body gets stuck in it as he ends up a fifteen centimeters inside.

"I need to pay more attention."

I see five shadows move towards me.

"Nope." I wave my hand to cancel their magic and they fall to the ground in front of me.

That could have been dangerous. I just noticed that I could have lost my hand if it turned out that they weren't using dark magic.

"Well. That aside." I summon thirty flame spears behind me and send six towards each of the assassins.

While it flew forward I felt the heat from one as it burned me slightly.

Ouch.

Instantly, five human torches lit up the alley. Revealing my presence.

"Who's that!" I look up and see about fifty assassins above us. Some holding on to the walls of the alley and others on top of the roofs. But what really caught my attention was that almost all of them had some weird collar on their necks.

"Calm down! He's just one! And he already revealed his magic elements! Quickly! Before he disappears again!" The man that was behind everyone suddenly yelled out some orders.

He must be their leader. Let's see if he can survive lightning...

I lift my left hand into the air and gather up my mana into my palm.

"Quickly attack! He's getting ready to use a powerful spell! Now! While he's vulnerable!" Good luck. You need to be faster than light if you want to kill me.

Maybe I can chant it? I wonder if it'll be stronger...

"Smite!" The mana in my hand suddenly rocketed into the air from my palm and gathered into the clouds in the air.

"I forgot to chant... I just said the name..." Before I could sulk about my failure a bolt of lightning struck down each of the assassins individually. Creating a large number of craters and starting a fire. The noise was loud enough to be heard all around us. Causing me to fall to the ground while screaming.

Damn... smite is powerful... but I wonder if I could improve it. Maybe I can develop it to avoid fire spreading and maybe make less noise. I'm pretty sure my enhanced hearing made me pretty vulnerable to it. I think I'm bleeding and there's a ringing noise in my ears. How is Fiora doing?

Fiora woke up from the lightning and is now squirming on the ground covering her ears.

Sorry... I didn't think it would be so loud. I need to be more careful when using lightning.

"Ahh... that was pretty warm."

"Ahh!!" I felt a sharp pain on my chin as I suddenly got sent flying. My arms felt like they would rip off from the momentum if it wasn't for the wall suddenly catching me.

"Ugh... that hurt..." I pushed myself out of the wall and fell to the ground on my hands.

When I looked up everything was spinning and my vision had turned red. Great, a head injury. This is bad.

I lifted myself up to my feet while trying not to fall.

Ugh, so dizzy. When I stood up my vision suddenly disappeared causing me temporary blindness.

Tsk! Now of all times!

If I can't see I just have to use make a defense. I can just wrap my body in lightning as a shield.

I spread mana around my body and as it turned to lightning I felt a sharp pain all over.

"Ahh!" Why does it hurt!? I thought my magic can't hurt me! As my vision returned to normal I canceled my magic with clearly visible burns and scars on my body except for where my clothes were. Smoke drifted off me and my body became stiff. Slowly dropping me to the floor.

"How the hell can an amateur like you use such a strong spell but have no understanding of magic. This is bad. If I let a dark elf like you live I'll be in trouble. I would apologize in having to kill someone like you who would be a great asset to us, but you're too dangerous." As he said some comforting words, he raised his sword above my head.

What the hell!? Why does he have a god killing weapon!? No, this is one of the gods' plans wasn't it. They're probably giving mortals these weapons without them realizing. Then ordering them to come kill me.

I already felt the heat radiating off his blade burning my neck like a hot iron. I can't die here. But my body is paralyzed.

"Hssss..." Tiny?

From the corner of mi view, I see Tiny lifting his head towards the man.

"Haha, a mere snake threatens me. Your scales seem like they'll fetch a high price." As the man swung his blade I felt a hot liquid splash my face with a strong pressure.

I unconsciously looked up and saw a body fall next to me.

No...