Chapter 8 - On The Road Again

After turning the assassin into a zombie, and calming down the very neevous Fiora, I start my interrogation.

"I am your master and you will address me as so." I tell the zombie assassin. The reason for this is to avoid another Gerol situation and my identity being revealed.

"Yes masteer." I hear the slightly hoarse voice of the zombie. I wonder if all zombies sound like this. Was it from the reanimation spell or was it the one that choked him until he lost consciousness?

Anyway I continued my questioning. "Who are you?"

"I am Royo, a rank four assassin from the Dark Blood." He says.

A rank four? "What do you mean by rank four?"

"In the Dark Blood, assassins are ranked by their skill in stealth and assassination. Rank one is the lowest while rank ten is the highest." He continued, "In the Dark Blood there are three leaders, all known to be rank ten. They are the only rank ten in the organization. There are seven rank nine. Twenty rank eight. Thirty seven rank seven. Fifty two rank six. One hundred and twenty three rank five. And more than three hundred in rank four. Below that all have more than five hundred members." He finished explaining the numbers in the Dark Blood and I couldn't hide my shock from what I heard.

This means that at the very least they would have 1,230 members. All assassins, and although the majority are rank three and below, they are still assassins. You can never underestimate an assassin. They are smart and will do whatever they can to kill their target. They're also quick and unpredictable. There are also other assassin groups, not just the Dark Blood, which would add about 12,000 from what I've heard in the streets.

"I'm dead..." I heard Fiora mutter that quietly. She seemed to have started breaking from realizing just how much danger she was in.

I walk over to her and pat her head. Although she didn't give me permission to do so, I couldn't just let her go insane, so I thought I should at least do this.

"Don't worry, you'll be fine. I'll be by your side so you don't have to worry." I say as I give her a thumbs up with my other hand. Although if someone were to say this, it would sound like an empty lie. Thus I try to sound as confident as I can.

Her face had gotten slightly red from me patting her but she started smiling after I told her that.

"Really?" She asked with eyes that seemed different from before, they were more hopeful now. Even I can't believe she's actually putting so much hope on me, though I won't ask why since it might make her doubt whether I can help her or not... also her ears are very soft and fluffy. I almost couldn't lift my hand from her head because of how comfortable they were. And although it stopped quickly I noticed a fluffy tail wagging side to side as I pat her.

————————————————————————

Fiora POV.

When Des told me that I'll be fine for some reason, I felt safer. It seemed like with him around I could feel at ease. Like there's nothing that could hurt me. I don't know why but, it may have to do with his aura. It seems strong and cold at first, but I can sense a more gentle and warm presence behind it.

Although I didn't know why he was helping me, I didn't mind. With him by my side, I feel like my problems will be washed away.

What's he doing? He's patting me!?

But... why am I not against it? When I felt him pat me, at first I was very shocked since I didn't think he would do something like that. It was embarrassing as well since I showed an unsightly appearance before doing it. But I didn't care. I knew he was trying to help. Although he was touching my ears a lot which are sensitive and made my face redder. I hope he didn't notice.

————————————————————————

Dessyr POV.

"Who contracted you?" I asked Royo.

"I do not know. Contracts are obtained by the assassins at rank eight and above. After passing inspection they are sent to be given to the lower ranks. All we know is what is written in it, nothing else."

"I see, where are the leaders of the Dark Blood located?" I ask him.

"The only ones that know who the three leaders are were the rank nine and eights. I only know the identities of some of the rank nines, however, some of the rank eights are easily located. If you can find someone who can tell you where they are or if you can lure them out, you can obatain the information you need." Royo explained.

"... That seems simple enough." I say as I nod my head. "In that case, where can I find some rank five or rank six assassins?" I ask Royo.

"We are throughout the continents. But the most populated area is inside the Descon kingdom since there are a large number of beastkin in the Dark Blood."

"Good in that case, we have our next destination." I said.

After I stopped asking Royo some more questions I thought about what I should do with him. Suddenly I had another headache. Great... thanks mother for this never ending pain in the a- head.

It wasn't as painful as it normally was but it still made me dizzy. After it was gone I learned that as the god of death. I could send anything I wanted to a specific part of my realm. Almost like space magic but it is unique.

I then sent the undead to my realm and started discussing my plan with Fiora.

"We will head to the Descon kingdom starting tomorrow, however I need to know if you know a fast way there." I tell her.

"The fastest way is through the main road. Although it won't be very safe from assassin attacks." She says.

"That won't be a problem as long as we make it there quickly. If we do get attacked they are going to regret having lives to begin with." I can help her out and then I'll head back here. Although my goal is to bring back Gena and also see my family, I should use this chance to learn more about my magic and get stronger to make the god of life submit to my will. After that... I can worry about it later.

"Alright, I'll be heading to my room. Tomorrow we'll head out on the road. Get ready for the upcoming travel. We can meet up again before breakfast at the lobby." I say as I exit her room.