Chapter 11 - Hunting Hunters

I ran towards the five men and readied myself to attack the closest one.

Currently they were all in a pentagon formation facing the serpent. Me and Fiora were behind them. The wagon with all the cages were to our left.

When I look to my side I see Fiora unlocking the cages, releasing the monsters and animals. As soon as they escape all of the noise they made had already attracted the attention of all of the hunters.

"Hey! What are you bastards doing!" The biggest, and most likely the leader of the group, yelled as we approached them.

I don't say anything and close the gap between me and one of the hunters. He was still pulling the chains on the serpent and paid no attention to me. Probably the slowest of the group.

When I reached him none of the others had time to react as my blade stabbed the man from behind. I aimed for his heart but unfortunately missed any of his vitals. Although it was still a very lethal wound since the poison also entered the man. In less than a second after I pulled back my sword he had already fallen to the ground.

"That is some powerful stuff right there." I say as I look down at my sword. The poison is one thing, since it was able to instantly kill him. But I was also surprised at how easy my sword penetrated him. There was no resistance at all. My sword just went through all his armor and equipment like it was a knife on tender meat.

I smile like a maniac and ready myself to run at the next closest person.

The four hunters were all surprised, their eyes were moving from their partner and me as if they couldn't believe that he died.

"What's wrong?" I ask them. "You seemed pretty tough a minute ago. Don't tell me you all lost your wits after lil' ol' Jimmy boy here fell." I laughed as I mocked them.

When I looked at Fiora, who was sneaking up behind them, she seemed like she was surprised by how I was acting. Although I couldn't see her face it was obvious since she seemed to be facing my way.

She quickly recovered afterwards and attacked the farthest one from me.

After she sneaked up from behind she placed her right dagger on his neck and stabbed the other into his back. Afterwards she slit his throat by spinning to her right and simultaneously slashed the left dagger across his back.

"Akkhg!" The man made a very disturbing noise as blood sprayed out from his throat and fell to the ground.

When the other three turned around to see their comrade fall I made my move and attacked them. First I swung my sword towards the one to the left of their leader.

My sword slashed his head in half diagonally, leaving half of his head connected to the rest of his body. While the top of his head flew, the others finally came to their senses and started their counter attacks.

While the leader tried to slash at me I swung down my sword and blocked him. I then kick his left leg, forcing him to fall on his knee.

Once he fell I moved to his left side, but as I was getting ready to decapitate him I saw that the last hunter was struggling controlling the serpent.

Fiora had already released most of the chains on it and had already been moving away, letting it start charging at the other hunter.

"You should pay attention." I heard the leader talking to me while I was distracted by the serpent. When I look down I see him about to stab me with his sword.

Not again... why was I so careless? I need to learn how to fight one day, a couple weeks of soldiers training isn't enough to survive against experienced enemies.

"Agk!" A familiar pain rushes through me as the sword pierced my body.

"Des!" I hear Fiora cry out my name from where the serpent is. Seems like the hunter was eaten by it.

"Hah! That was a poisoned blade, you won't be alive for long." The leader said as he pulls the sword out of me.

Great, although I know how fast I'll heal from this, I should start thinking of a way to explain this to Fiora. But for now I need to kill this guy.

While he's boasting about having stabbed me I release some black fog to block the view between Fiora and us.

"What's going on!" He screams while my magic surrounds him.

While surrounding us, I remembered that I was half dragon and decided to try out something new.

I quickly thought of forming some type of claw on my hand and not soon after my hand changed. Instead of skin, there were scales surrounding my arm, the bottom side was slightly grey while the top was black. My fingers turned into the claws of dragons. I was surprised it worked so easily, but right now I need to kill this guy. I swung my claws and cut his throat instantly.

After he's dead I disperse the fog and look at the place he stabbed me.

It was just around my stomach and although he said there was poison on his blade as well I don't feel much from it, just slightly sick. Was it too weak?

"Des!" I see Fiora running towards me at very high speeds.

Oh no–!

Fiora jumps at me and pushed me to the ground.

"Are you alright?! Where is your wound!? I think I have a minor healing potion, it may heal you!" She starts looking through a leather bag as some tears come out of her eyes.

Why is she crying?

"Hey I'm fine. See all better." I say as I lift my hands in the air and try to sit up.

"But you got stabbed! You're not fine!" She yells as she frantically searches through her bag and pushes me back down.

"First off, you don't tackle someone who got stabbed. Second, when I covered myself in my magic it was actually just me healing myself from the wound." It's good she didn't hear the leader say that the blade was poisoned. If she did I couldn't have used this lie.

"Your magic can heal?! But it doesn't seem anything like light magic. And you can use it to kill and make zombies. I thought it was dark magic." She said.

"It is my unique dark magic." I say while smiling at her. I'm not lying after all.

Her face turns red and quickly gets off of me. Weird..? Afterwards she quickly made a serious expression when she turned around.

The serpent was standing right behind her.