Making Amends

Conner and Ela didn't move from the doorway as all eye's was locked on them wondering what to expect. Their children, now grown stood by them just as awkward. No one knew them due to their parent's having moved away. Well Cole, Miri and their children knew them because they visited occasionally.

Cole was the first to step up and speak. "Pape, mom, this is a surprise. Is everything well?"

Ela spoke back as Conner stood stiff clearly uncomfortable. "We stopped in for a visit. We had no idea we would be interupting".

Laney stepped up. "Nonsense. You're not interrupting a thing".

Laney leaned in to give her old friend a tight squeeze as I kept my hand near my gun in case Conner tried any funny business. Laney stepped back. "Hello Conner. It's good to see you all".

Conner gave a curt nod as Laney eyed the children. "Oh my goodness. Look at them all grown. They were just babies last I saw them." .

Laney tugged their arm. "Come get some cake. We have plenty" .

They passed through but the tension could be felt in the air. Soon all the young ones had gathered together chatting. At least the kids didn't feel so out of place now. I spied Laney in a corner catching up with Ela as Conner sat alone with a sour look on his face. "Well?" I heard a voice from behind me.

Turning I saw Miri. "Well what?" I asked as she sat beside me and leaned up against me.

" aren't you going to speak to him, try and make amends? " she asked.

Cutting my eye's at her I said. "I don't see him trying to talk to me so why should I make the first move?"

Miri laughed. "You both are acting like toddlers. The king I once knew would make the first move".

I knew she was right. "You're an ass baby girl".

Laughing, she replied. "True but you love me".

" more than you'll ever know". I said placing my arm around her.

We sat in silence for a moment before she spoke. "You know, sometimes I miss being a child and crawling on your lap. You always knew how to make me feel better and how to fix it".

" and I still will. Is everything okay Miri? I asked concerned.

"Yes, actually very good. I've just missed you pape".

" and I've missed you doll baby ".

" Pape do you remember the time you threatened to send me away over that boy" she asked.

I groaned. "Like it was yesterday. You ripped my heart out. However I would have never went through with it. I only wanted to protect you and I still do. You're my little girl, my princess".

Miri snuggled closer to me. "Even back then I wanted to find a man just like you but no one could live up to my Pape. Then I fell for Cole. Pape, he's like you in so many ways and he's good to me and the kid's. I'm lucky to have both of you".

I glanced over at Cole who was laughing with Dem. "I know I haven't always agreed with Cole but I am proud of him. He's good for you".

" thanks Pape. " miri said kissing my cheek.

I rummaged through my coat pocket and pulled out a small box. "I picked this up for you the other day" .

She eagerly opened it and saw a necklace with a charm. The charm represented my love for her. "I love it Pape. Thank you". She said hugging me tight.

Just then her mother motioned her over. "Before you return to Alabama promise me you'll take me to my favorite I've cream place, just the two of us".