Prickly Pear

Hey love's!

Hope you're enjoying the story so far! Just wanted to let you all know that the voting has reopened and you have to September 4 to nominate me and vote for any of my book's! Just go to the fan fiction awards 2018 and vote away! You can find it on my reading list! You are allowed to vote for the same book in more than one genre as well as vote for as many of my book's as you like! Just remember to tag me in it so the vote will count! Like I've mentioned before I feel like a winner regardless of the outcome! However I truly thank the one's who take the time to give me a vote and shout out! Thanks guy's. Now the update...

∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆

The sun was bright and piercing my barely opened eye's. Shutting them back proved to be useless against the burning light. Not only that there was a odd noise in the background. Almost like a swish, clink, swish, clink.

I continued to lie there trying to remember what exactly was going on. Then it got me. I had made it to CJ and warned him. I had told him my shameful story. Without opening my eye's I called his name out but it came out as a whispery, raspy croak due to my dry mouth. I tried again a bit stronger. "He's not here". I heard a female's voice.

My first thought was that he had taken my advice and fled but who was here talking to me? I slowly went to sit up and every muscle in my body cried out in protest. Still though, I grunted and forced the pain from my mind and sat up. I then cracked my swollen eye's open and focused on a figure sitting in the corner chair. It was a very beautiful girl and I also found the object of that irritating swish, clank noise. She held a blade in her hand and continuously opened and closed it. Fear sprung up and I wondered if she worked for Derrick and perhaps he'd already gotten to CJ. I looked at her again and her face held no expression yet her eye's bore into mine. "Who are you?" I managed to stutter out.

Tilting her head at an angle she looked as if I had no right asking any questions. "Better yet, who are you?" She stated somewhat snarky.

This woman was very intimidating and I felt trapped by her mere presence. "I'm Alice. A friend of CJ's". I murmured.

She shook her head slightly. "No, I know all of his friends and I've never heard of you. How do you know my brother?" She asked more sternly.

A tinge of relief filtered through me at discovering that she was his sister. "I work at a coffee shop he visits. We met there and became friends" .

"What kind of friends?" She asked sarcastically .

My throat was dry and I needed water to continue to speak. "Please, could I have something to drink?"

She gave me a annoying look and walked out mumbling. "He better hurry the fuck back. I'm not playing babysitter much longer".

A few minutes later she waltzed back in and tossed a water bottle in the bed and if course made sure I had to streach for it. I took a few generous sips as she watched on annoyed. Finally she took a seat and resumed her knife play. The sound only amplified my hurting head. As nice as possible I asked. "Do you mind not doing that. My head hurts something awful".

She paused with the knife midswing and have me a how dare you look. Suddenly she sailed the knife through the air and I watched frozen as it embedded in the wall. While staring at me she walked over and pulled the knife out splintering the wood. Gulping I wondered where CJ was and how much longer he would be. She came to stand by the bed. "What have you gotten my brother mixed up in?" She demanded to know.

I felt it was none of her business but I wouldn't dare tell this scary woman that. Instead I avoided the question. "When will your brother be back?"

Finally she answered me back without asking another question. "I don't know but it can't be soon enough" .

"I'm sorry for inconveniencing you. I will be fine if you'd like to leave" . I spoke sincerely.

"I promised my brother to be your keeper and I don't break promises so you're stuck with me. Just suck it up". She snapped.

I looked down at my nervous hands not knowing what to do. "So who wrecked your face like that?" She asked bluntly.

I must really look horrible I thought. "My fiancee" . I mumbled.

"Hold on a damn minute. Why are you seeking my brother out if you're intended to be married?" She snarled .

This woman was too much for my nerves right now. Sobbing I spoke. "I mean your brother no harm. I'm no longer engaged. Please let me be".

" ah fuck, stop the waterworks. If my brother comes in and sees you crying I'll never hear the end of it. Cut that shit off". She growled.

I tried to compose myself but the more I did the harder I cried. "I'm sorry". I hiccupped.

" Look, I'm not good at all this emotional shit but I will tell you what your first mistake was". She said in a bit nicer tone or as nice as she could muster.

Bending down to give my face a closer inspection she said. "Your first mistake was allowing this fiancee of yours to live. You should had slit his gut open the first time he hit you and laughed as his insides spilled out at your feet. That's what I would've done anyways".

Who the hell is this crazy woman? Before anymore could be said in walked CJ. Giving thanks up above I cried his name out. He rushed to my side. "Are you okay Angel? Are you hurting?"

I shook my head no and collapsed into his arm's. Nothing had ever felt better than this. After a moment he pulled away. "So you had the pleasure of meeting my sister Mizery".

So that explains it. Her name says it all. "I trust that she saw to your needs?" He asked me.

Mizery shot me a warning glance as if saying I dare you to say otherwise. I mustered up a smile and said. ",yes".

" Good". He said looking at Mizery.

She offered up a huge smile that nearly touched her eye's in an attempt to look innocent.  She was like the cat who swallowed the canary and for some reason I could honestly believe that she had ate a live canary before. I breathed a sigh of relief as she left. CJ focused on me. "Let's get some food in you and then you should rest again" .

"CJ, about Derick I need you to listen to me."

" Shhhh". He hushed me. "There's no need to fret angel".

I knew my argument was pointless so I gave up. I only hoped that Derrick wouldn't make good on his threats. After a lite meal I dozed back off. When I woke the sun was down but I could hear male voices from another room. Feeling a bit refreshed I scooted off the bed and tiptoed my way toward the chatter. As I neared I heard CJ say. "No I'm not going to hunt him down. I want the bastard to come to me. Let him believe he has the upper hand".

Next I heard Mizery say. "I think it's ridiculous of you to get involved at all. You know nothing about her".

" I know enough ". CJ spat angrily.

" yes Mizery, maybe if you had a man you wouldn't be such a bitch" I heard an unfamiliar males voice.

Peeking around the corner I saw a man with shoulder length hair. He looked very scary. "Heir, maybe I should just slit your nut sack open. I'm sure that would put me in a better mood". Mizery hissed.

She turned to go and caught sight of me hiding out. "Careful boy's. Seems there's a little mouse about". She said nodding in my direction.

" see you guy's later". CJ said excusing them.

He walk over toward me and led me back to his room. "How much did you hear Alice"?

" something about hunting someone down". I said honestly.

"Are you sure?" He asked on edge.

" Yes. That's it". I said.

"I was discussing a difficult client, that's all. Now you need to eat again angel".

" if really enjoy a bath if possible? " I asked hopeful.

"I can see to that, but first food". He said and settled me back on the bed.