Standing My Ground

Not really wanting to, I followed my parent's into their home office. Regardless of what they said my mind was made up. I was going to marry Alice at the end of the month.

Yes, I am a grown man and make my own choices as well as mistakes but who the fuck is perfect. Ever now and then my parent's will try to intervene and change my mind but I do what I feel I should do.... And I feel that Alice is my one.

Sure she's already hating the idea of marriage so soon but it's understandable given our short, rocky past. I'm certain in time she will see that this is what she wanted all along. Alice just needs time to adjust and accept her new title.

Taking a deep breath I settled into the big leather chair before my parent's desk. Pape sat behind the desk as mom leaned up against the side of it. "Let's get this started so I can meet with Demarco" . I spoke flatly.

"What are you thinking?" My mom began in her sometimes overly dramatic way.

" I'm thinking that I'm getting married" I said clearly and honestly.

"How can you think of that so soon and especially right not with what the family is going through? No offense toward Alice, I'm sure she's a sweet girl but your relationship hasn't exactly been that of a storybook. It hasn't even been a year and look at the problems you two have faced. Marriage this soon would be a train wreck".

"Excuse my tone mother but yours and Pape's relationship wasn't the best at first as I recall. Neither was Pop Pop's and G mama".

This struck a chord with my mom and she stood up straight with narrowed eye's and a glare that resembled my Pop Pop's. "Maybe so but your Pape and I had a long history. You have what, a few month's? As for your grandparents my Pape never forced my my mom to stay. Yes he tried but in the end he set her free. He couldn't bare the thought of forcing her. She chose to stay after that. In fact he tried to make her leave several time's to keep her safe from this life but that stubborn woman wouldn't leave his side. Not even in the end".

My mom stopped for a moment because she got choked up and yea, I felt like a dick for causing her stress. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have brought them into this. But I still plan on marrying Alice at the end of the month."

My mom turned toward my Pape giving him a please help look. Pape crammed a fistful of peanuts into his mouth and took his time chewing them. Once he swollowed and took a sip of water he cleared his throat and spoke. "Your mother's right. You need to slow down and see how it plays out before you jump into this head first. Have you thought about your money and other assets in case of a divorce? Give it at least another year and if you both feel like marrying then I'll be all for it. Now with that said I am disappointed in you for disobeying Demarcos rules and running off unprotected. I'll spare you a lecture because I'm sure numb nut is going to rip you a new ass."

Taking a breath I exhaled loudly. "I understand everyone's concern but my minds made up".

Mom shook her head in disbelief as well as irritation. "I'm under the impression that Alice isn't exactly for this marriage, that your forcing her".

rolling my eye's I said. "She'll be fine. She'll get use to it".

Mom cracked out a sarcastic laugh. "Then your sadly mislead CJ. No one can be happy when their being forced to do something they disapprove of. If you go through with this against her wishes your marriage is doomed from the start. She'll resent you and you'll both be unhappy. Think about it. Do you love her?"

" Of course I do. How can you ask that? " I spat.

Crossing her arm's over her chest she spoke sternly. "Then you wouldn't force her. If you truly loved and cared for her, her wellbeing would be the utmost importance to you. I'm done with this conversation for now. Go on to my brother".

Mom dismissed me without another thought. I knew she was highly pissed but it's my life, my decisions. I made my way to the Den to meet with my uncle. I dreaded this confrontation but might as well get it over with. I gave three swift knocks to his office door and was greeted by a grunted "yea".

I could tell by his tone he still wasn't in a pleasant mood. Bracing myself I stepped in. Demarco looked up with a dark scowl plastered to his face. "Well dick weed finally decided to stop by". He snorted tossing his pen down and leaning back in his chair.

The worn leather of the chair creaked as he did this and I recalled how as a child I found that sound comforting as my Pop Pop pulled me onto his lap. However I knew this time this visit was going to be everything but comfortable. "Sit your ass down" Demarco growled lighting up a smoke.

Blowing the smoke out in a slow puff I watched As it swirled about him and I pictured a dragon getting ready to burn me to cinders. "The fuck wrong with your mind boy? You deliberately disobeyed my orders. If you were any of my other men you'd dearly pay but since your my nephew I can't do that because I'm not about to deal with Miri's shit. Here's what's gonna happen though. You fuck up one more time I will permanently remove you from hunting or extracting revenge on my parent's killers. I know how much it means to you, to all of us on figuring this out and killing these fucks. Don't make me take this away from you. Get your head back in the business and out of pussy".

" Yes Sir". I grumbled.

"The fuck is this marriage bull? You don't know her. It's not a good idea".

" I know all I need to know". I replied with a hint of anger.

Demarco squinted his beady eye's at me. "Is that so? So you saying she's good? Loyal? Will be faithful to you as well as the family?"

"Absolutely" . I said irritated.

"Fuck what you say. I'm going to do my own background check on her. Now let your feet lead you out of here and remember, I watching your ass. Don't make me lose my shit".

I nodded my head and made my way to my apartment. All I wanted was sleep. I nor Alice have had any rest since we left that boat. I found Alice asleep on the couch as I entered. My presence woke her and she sat up slowly. "Come on to bed Angel".

She shook her head. "CJ you've got to listen to me. We can't get married like this".

Tired and pissed from dealing with my parent's as well as my uncle I growled out. "Not fucking right now Alice. I'm going to bed. You can either join me or stay there, doesn't matter to me right now".

Alice remained glued to the couch and I could feel her eye's burning a hole in my back as I retreated to my room but sleep was more important than another argument.