In Remembrance

It took several limos to take the entire clan to the church. Mom and Pape rode in the first along with Demarco, Sam and King. I could only imagine what it was doing to my mother to see her parent's ahead of her in caskets.

I was in the second limo along with Mizery, Heir, Sire, Demetrius and Jenell. Behind us was my grandparents, Conner and Ela along with Zoe and Chance. Following behind them was Ari and her family. A few more limos trailed behind them as well carrying other family members, some of my Pop Pop's retired men and their families as well as respected business associates including Severo Marietta. The crowd was astonishing once we arrived at the church. I wouldn't have thought a man so feared, a family so feared would have such a huge turnout. Not only was most of New York here but leader's from across the globe. I assume the only reason they came to pay their respects was so their name would be cleared as possible suspects. No matter, they all knew a bloody war was on the horizon and they didn't want to get lost in the crossfires.

Even still, we had the church heavily guarded with every man between Dems and my papes business. Only a fool would attack at this moment.

We all entered the church together in silence and as we passed everyone rose whispering condolences or nodded their respects. A soft hymn played and I instantly recognized it as the tune my G mama would him to all of us kid's including her own. My eye's sought out Demarco and I could see his jaw tighten trying to hold himself together as it played. Yellow roses adorned the side by side coffins as well as the entire hall. Yellow roses signified the love my grandparents shared. Pop Pop always gave G mama yellow roses and yellow diamonds.

Eventually we was seated and the service begin. Many spoke telling of fond memories or sharing business tales. I wasn't shocked at all to see my Grandfather, Conner stand. I listened intently as he tried to hide the emotion in his voice. "We were just boy's when we met duiring training. We instantly had a dislike for each other, too afraid one would out do the other". He paused as a hum of chuckles rang out.

" soon we became the best of friend's and was inseparable. Then it happened, you met Laney on a business trip and reconnected a few years later. I knew when you first introduced us you was head over heels and I didn't like it. I was losing my boy to a girl. In time I grew to love Laney as my sister, not to mention she introduced me to the love of my life, my wife Ela. I can't imagine how life is going to be now, I was your right hand man. What am I suppose to do without you? " his voice cracked.

Composing himself he wrapped it up. "I'll miss you more than you'll know,my brother. Rest easy. Always, your right hand man".

Just as it was coming to an end, Demarco sprang up and took the pulpit. "I'm not good at speeches but I don't want to regret not saying this. The king, my Pape was the bravest, toughest man I know. I could only wish to be half the man, half the king he was. They'll never be another like him. So many times we bumped head's but I'm the end he taught me well. I love ya Pape and I'm gonna miss the hell out of you but know this... The ones responsible are going to hurt so bad". He patted my Pop Pop's casket then laid his hand atop my G mama's casket.

On a sob he spoke. "Mommy, mommy. I-I can't even breath without you. If only I had been there no harm would've came to you. This hurts so bad mommy and I just want to hear you say my name one more time. Mommy I love you so much and I need you. You was my rock and I can't bear to wake up knowing I'll never see you again".

Finally Sam eased him away as he continued to breakdown. Then the moment came where we left for the cemetery. Well, it wasn't exactly a cemetery, it was on Mom's land. Originally mom grew up here but the home was burned to the ground. Year's later my Pape rebuilt the home because he knew how she loved it. My grandparents would be laid to rest a few hundred yards from the house under an old oak tree. Mom claims as a child she would peek out her window and see her parent's sitting on a blanket under the tree. It's said to be a special spot for them, now it will be their final spot.

As we all gathered around the grave to say our final goodbyes the clouds opened up and a lite, cool drizzle fell upon us. Couldn't have been more fitting for this moment. Eventually everyone started to disperse into my parent's home for refreshments and small talk but as I looked back I spied my mom standing alone by the graves. Slowly I approached her and placed my arm around her. She took a deep, ragged breath. "I understand that their gone. My mind gets it, I just wish my heart did".

I didn't know what to say, how to comfort her so I just remained quiet and listened. "I always wanted to marry a man just like my pape, CJ. That's why I love your pape so. I was his little girl, his doll baby. I can still hear Papes voice saying that to me. I'm not complete without him". She took a deep breath and calmed herself.

Turning toward me, she placed her black gloved hand to my cheek and smiled through her tears. "You know you look just like him? Well you do have your Papes eye's but the rest is London Harper. Even your actions son speak of him. You've got what it takes to be as great as he was and don't you ever forget it. In fact he saw it too. Now run back in. I'll come along eventually" .

I hugged her tight and walked away. I didn't want to leave her but I assumed she needed this alone time at their grave. Before I entered the house I turned to check on her and stopped in my tracks at the sight before me. Demarco and King had joined her and stood on either side. From a distance one would think Dem was London and mom Laney. I watched As they held hands and looked powerful even in their mourning. Just as I turned to go in the sun peeked out from behind the dark clouds and a bright glow reflected off their backs. I knew then we was going to be alright. The Harper's would survive this.