XXI

Remus felt so utterly torn. She really had told him that she didn't care, through such simple but loving actions. The way she had cared for him. The way she looked at him. Do many times, and he decided not to take notice.

Dumbledore's funeral was a sullen and solemn one. A pristine white coffin held the body of the great headmaster of Hogwarts. Tears were able to slip down everyone's cheeks. Especially Remus'. Tonks ended up sitting next to him. She didn't look at him. He saw her crying. He could tell that she saw him crying too.

Remus put his head in his hands and just cried. Few spoke. He had once again, lost a kind and wonderful person. Remus had lost so much at this point. His best friends were dead. Now, someone who was like a second father to him. Dead. And to find that Snape, a man Dumbledore had given a second chance, betrayed them by killing him.

Remus didn't want to speak. His throat was dry. He glanced up at Tonks, who's eyes were focused on the marble coffin, silent drops falling to the ground. His lips were pursed tightly, as if choking back a barrage of tears. Everyone's red and puffy eyes indicted that they were crying. Some still were.

Remus was never afraid to cry. But seeing others cry hurt his heart the most. He wondered why Tonks had chosen to sit next to him. The most logical answer was that there weren't any other seats. But he hoped otherwise.

Even though she was crying, her hair was still a shade of bright and beautiful pink. Maybe Tonks had remembered to be happy that Dumbledore has moved on and will no longer be in any pain. But, for Remus, this was a hurt concept to come by.

He felt something grip his hand with a squeeze. He looked up at her. Tonks gave a weak smile. The weakest he had ever received from her. Tears rimmed her eyes. Her hand was warm and comforting.

How could a woman like this love him?

She wasn't begging for comfort. She only offered it to him, sparing his feelings instead of her own.

The ceremony was slow and painful. Remus didn't want to recall the details. He couldn't stand seeing the crying and depressed faces of the students and professors, not to mention a few ministry workers. But it had ended after a few prayers were said and speeches were made.

Remus had stayed behind after everyone left. He sat by the Black Lake, contemplating what he had just witnessed. And found a special someone sitting next to him. Tonks spread her arms for a hug, knowing that he needed it.

He let himself be held by the woman he loved the most and cried. Remus held back most of his tears at the funeral. Now he was free to cry. Remus sobbed quite loudly as she embraced him. His heart ached with pain and mourning.  She put her head on his and they sat there, crying.

How in the world did he deserve a lady like this one?

Long after the seemingly endless flow of tears and sobbing had they let go. (Remus actually held on for a little longer, he didn't really want to let her go.) She smiled at him, bright and lovely as always. They didn't even need words to express love, but small and simple movements.

Remus suddenly found himself leaning forward. He kissed her lovingly, pulling her closer by pulling his arms around her waist. Tonks kissed back, her hands resting at the back of his neck. He felt her smirk against his lips and pull away.

"Remus, I wanna show you something."

Tonks slipped her ward out of her pocket and casted the patronus charm. Remus didn't doubt for a second that she had the ability to cast it, seeing as she was an extremely powerful witch who he should forever be in awe of. The form it took was what shocked him the most.

A beautiful female wolf erupted from the tip of her wand and shimmered with a ghostly grey-blue. It's eyes were bright and intelligent, but had the slightlesy hint of a smirk on its face. Remus felt compelled to cast the same spell.

But he didn't mean to cast a corporal patronus.

Remus usually never casted a corporal partonus. It was in the shape of a wolf, and all wolf related things disgusted him. But before he could stop himself, a male wolf came from the tip of his wand, shimmering white. It's eyes were intelligent, no longer power hungry like it had when he first casted the charm. It looked... satisfied and happy.

"A perfect match..." he whispered.
She laughed, "You're not wrong."

Remus kissed her again, this time on the cheek. Tonks attempted to push him away as she laughed.

"Remus!" Tonks protested, smirking.

He ended up kissing her anyway, seeing as his arm was still wrapped around her waist. He finally realized it was really meant to be.

She was the fire, the light of his life. A powerful being, something that shouldn't be played with. But a lovely thing all the same. She was something that could bring out his more outgoing side. Leading him to do fun things like making s'mores and being with other people.

He was a calmer being. Water. He helped her stay grounded and make sure she didn't push herself over her limits. He, too, was powerful, but remained calm most of the time. He was the only thing who could extinguish the fire to keep her and others safe. He could make other things shine. He was the moving force in his life.

They were seemingly total opposites, but shared the same prankster smile and force of will. They balanced each other out. They were a perfect fit. Maybe they'll have a few rough patches, but Remus knew it would be hard to stay mad at her.

"One thing."
"Shoot."
"Can I call you Dora?"
She laughed and ruffled his hair, "Whatever you want."

They laughed once more. She ran her hands through his wavy tan hair, smiling.

"Dora?"
"Mhm?"
"Can I have a kiss?"
She looked down and laughed, her pink hair falling into her face, "Do you have to ask?"

And she did give him a kiss. The new couple sat y the lake, laughing and smiling more than they ever had. Of course, they didn't notice the other members of the Order watching nearby, all grinning and giggling. (Okay, Remus did notice. But he wasn't telling Dora that.)

I am going to once more apologize for skimming over events that happened in the books! I'm soooooo sorry. I hope you can forgive me! Anyway, thanks for reading and voting on this story because I did not think people would read this. Love you all!!!! 😘😘😘😘

P. S. This is not the end of the story. I promise there will be more.

-Abby